What's new

How to delete conversations (PMs)? (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My inbox reports 18% full, with 90 out of a maximum of 500 messages used. That's probably no big deal, but regardless of capacity issues, I wanted to get rid of some clutter and delete a bunch of old unneeded messages.

I checked several of them, but when I looked through the options, I found no option to delete -- only to "leave the conversation". That seems like a weird course of action for what I'm looking to do, but is that the "cleanup" process I want? And if I do it, what happens to that message on the other person's end?

Am I just missing the thing I want to do?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My inbox reports 18% full, with 90 out of a maximum of 500 messages used. That's probably no big deal, but regardless of capacity issues, I wanted to get rid of some clutter and delete a bunch of old unneeded messages.

I checked several of them, but when I looked through the options, I found no option to delete -- only to "leave the conversation". That seems like a weird course of action for what I'm looking to do, but is that the "cleanup" process I want? And if I do it, what happens to that message on the other person's end?

Am I just missing the thing I want to do?
Charles,

I agree it's weird word terminology, but clicking on "leave the conversation" does delete those checked messages.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thank you, sir!

I'm happy to see that you get the choice of letting the messages come back if another person responds to them again...which is perfect.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Sorry to dredge this up, but I have reached my limit for conversations (50) and am now blocked from receiveing or creating new conversations. While using the "leave conversation" option does hide the conversations from my inbox, they don't seem to be deleted as I am still blocked. Any help would be appreciated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry to dredge this up, but I have reached my limit for conversations (50) and am now blocked from receiveing or creating new conversations. While using the "leave conversation" option does hide the conversations from my inbox, they don't seem to be deleted as I am still blocked. Any help would be appreciated.
@Fritz Nilsen

When you activate the "leave conversation" option, you will then have two options which I copied below. Check the little box next to the bottom option that I have in bold and that should delete any conversation. Let us know if that doesn't work.

Leaving a conversation will remove it from your conversation list.

Future message handling
  • Accept future messagesShould this conversation receive further responses in the future, this conversation will be restored to your inbox.

• Ignore future messagesYou will not be notified of any future responses and the conversation will remain deleted.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Thanks, Robert.
When I used the "Ignore future messages" option it didn't seem to make any difference at first.
Then I noticed that while the system claimed a limit of 50 conversations, I had roughly 140 when I started. So I kept deleting conversations, and once I whittled it down to under 50 the option to create new conversations was active again. I don't believe it made any difference which secondary option I had selected, I just had way too many conversations stored.

Is this limit of 50 a new implementation? If not, how did I manage to reach 140 conversations before the trap slammed shut?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do Supporters or Premium members get a different amt of messages/conversations allowed or are # messages vs #/conversations treated differently?

I didn't have a lot, but just looked and it said 2% ( 8 of 500 allowed conversations) with probably 70-80 total messages in those 8 threads .

I chose Leave Conversation (but chose Accept Future messages) and now my box says 1% ( 4 of 500). Leave/Accept seems to have deleted the prior conversation and the several dozen total messages.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do Supporters or Premium members get a different amt of messages/conversations allowed or are # messages vs #/conversations treated differently?

I didn't have a lot, but just looked and it said 2% ( 8 of 500 allowed conversations) with probably 70-80 total messages in those 8 threads .

I chose Leave Conversation (but chose Accept Future messages) and now my box says 1% ( 4 of 500). Leave/Accept seems to have deleted the prior conversation and the several dozen total messages.
@Dave Upton Perhaps Dave can answer your inquiry.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not even a speck on the radar of need to know. I know Supporter/Patron get an upgrade to 1000, but I'm not sure (don't remember/never looked) what perks plain Premium members got. Pretty much other than no popup, minimal ads everything else was mulch
Well, I need to know then.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Premium Members do get the following perks (just had to log out of my account and click the Support button). I'm assuming that non-Premium may now be limited to the 50 Fritz is asking about. I can't remember if that changed with the last update, but it might explain why he's limited to 50, but had 140 at some point -- if he was a Paid supported at some point and now isn't OR if the last upgrade dropped the number of Conversations a Basic member was allowed

No Advertising (other than forum sponsors)
500 Message Inbox Size
Premium Badge & Custom Title
400x400 Signature with Links
Medium Sized Avatar
Medium Profile Picture
Adjustable Posts & Threads Per Page

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
"OR if the last upgrade dropped the number of Conversations a Basic member was allowed "
I suspect this must be the answer, as I was always just a basic member.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
"OR if the last upgrade dropped the number of Conversations a Basic member was allowed "
I suspect this must be the answer, as I was always just a basic member.
I think our upgrade to the new version dropped this down. There was no intent there for sure.

Leaving a conversation is equivalent to deleting it as far as your inbox limit is concerned.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've left a bunch of conversations for space reasons over the years which have run their course, but always tell the software to accept future messages. So if anyone who hasn't PMed me in a while wants to resurrect those conversations, they would just be restored to my inbox, no harm done.

gizmofanv

Grip
Real Name
Venu
It has been a while since I last logged in to HTF and appears lot has changed. I have non-paid account and can't send messages due hitting upper treashold. Tried deleting 20 with no luck. What are my options now? would I ever able to send/receive messages with free account?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks