What's new

How to deal with a receiver that is not 4k ready.... (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hello fellow HTF members!

A friend of mine bought the newest Sony 65" 4k display. It has 3D capability.

The problem is, his Denon receiver (that I gave him a few years back) does not have 4k or 3D capability.

For that reason, 4k and 3D discs will not played when the HDMI connection is pumped through the receiver.

Understandable.

Is there a way to bypass the receiver for picture but use the receiver for the 5.1 audio?

Not sure if this is even possible.

I would think a direct HDMI connection from the Blu-ray player to display.

But how do you do a separate audio connection to the receiver?

This has to also be done for the cable box.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I struggled with this over the past year as I transitioned my components to 4K capable (TV first, then the Samsung
UHD player, then the DirecTV mini-genii with 4K channels, and then the XBOX One S). The Samsung had 2 HDMI outs, so that was easy - one to the TV, one to the AVR. Then the DirecTV box - didn't have lossless audio anyway, so one HDMI to the TV and coax to the AVR. Then the XBOX One S broke the bank - there weren't anymore HDMI inputs on the TV. All 4K switches I tried (two) didn't work - the HDMI handshake would not work through the switches. So I bit the bullet and got a new AVR too (holding my breath, after my experience with the switches, but it did successfully pass the 4K signals). Now I have HDMI to the receiver for all components and two HDMI cables going to the TV. One of the HDMI inputs has calibration settings for HDR and the other one for regular signals - I switch inputs at the TV depending on what I am watching.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron, as far as I'm aware all of the 4K players on the market right now (Samsung, Philips, Panasonic and the upcoming Oppo UDP-203) have two HDMI outputs for just this kind of scenario. As MIke described, one HDMI output goes to the display and the other goes to the receiver for audio only. The cable box probably doesn't have dual HDMI, but you could run the HDMI out to the display and then the digital audio out, whether it be coax or TOSLINK, to the receiver.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to see if the 4k 3D player my friend bought has two HDMI outputs. That would be the answer!

Also running a toslink out from the cable box (if it has that output) may be the other answer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Unfortunately, only one single HDMI output and a coaxial audio output.

Not sure I can work with that on the Denon,

Might have to find him another 3D/4k Player with dual HDMI out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a great player, no question, but I personally prefer the Oppo.
No doubt, but I didn't mention the Oppo because it's only available to Beta users such as yourself. When it hits the open market then it probably vaults to the head of the class.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Leaving the Oppo out of the equation since it's not available yet, the best player on the market a couple of weeks ago was the Samsung UBD-K8500 when it was selling for $189 on Amazon. ;)

I'm buying the UDP-203 when it's released Ron. PM me if the Samsung interests you.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Listen....

I hear you guys on the Oppo and Samsung. I am with you. If this were for me, I would spend the $500 for the new 4k Oppo. In fact, eventually, when I upgrade my projector, that will be my player.

All that being said....

This isn't for me. It's for my friend.

He spent his last bit of savings for the 4k display and a cheap Sony player that cost him about $90.

I am going to help him buy a better Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player for about $169 that has dual HDMI outputs.

He just can't afford to buy a 4k player right now --- not when they are selling close to the $300 mark.

He kind of went with the best 4k display he could afford (which was the Sony's best 4k display), and kind of went cheap on everything else.

Appreciate the assistance, guys!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Leaving the Oppo out of the equation since it's not available yet, the best player on the market a couple of weeks ago was the Samsung UBD-K8500 when it was selling for $189 on Amazon. ;)

I'm buying the UDP-203 when it's released Ron. PM me if the Samsung interests you.
I've heard some bad things about the Samsung, unless, it's a different model number than the one I'm thinking of.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert,

Do you have a 4k display yet? When I last left you, you purchased that Samsung Plasma.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert,

Do you have a 4k display yet? When I last left you, you purchased that Samsung Plasma.
Not yet, but I'm upgrading incrementally so the Oppo player is the first step. Perhaps in 2017. That 60" Samsung is in my Bedroom HT. I'm looking at upgrading my Panny 65" VT Plasma in my main HT.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've heard some bad things about the Samsung, unless, it's a different model number than the one I'm thinking of.

The Samsung has some warts, but at the price I paid for it they're warts that can be lived with IMO. I'm sure the Oppo, however, is of their typical high quality and it will be mine. :) After living with the excellent BDP-103 for two years I simply cannot go back to a typical "consumer level" player.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Samsung has some warts, but at the price I paid for it they're warts that can be lived with IMO. I'm sure the Oppo, however, is of their typical high quality and it will be mine. :) After living with the excellent BDP-103 for two years I simply cannot go back to a typical "consumer level" player.
The Samsung player complaints reminded me how Samsung rolled out their first Blu-ray player that wasn't quite ready for prime time. They got me that time, but I decided to wait and see with this format.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Once you have an Oppo, you don't go back. That's true.

I am 1/3 the way to 4k. I have the receiver. I just need the Oppo and a new projector that even at cost, will be about $8k.

You can understand why I am taking this very slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks