1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How to dance?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Feb 6, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Allright, so i havent really 'danced' once in my entire life, except when im deliberately making a fool of myself, or we were forced to in PE class.

Grad time is coming up, and numerous dinner/dances are coming as well.

I need to know how to at least not look like an idiot on the dance floor, it doesnt have to be like crazy good, just barely decent :p)

Prolly some slow dance and some faster dancing. The stuff you usually see at high school dances yaknow [​IMG]

Soooo.. Does anybody know any websites/dance steps/tips they can give me?

2. DeT

DeT Agent

http://www.ballroomdancers.com/

The thing is, pretend like you know what you doing. Don't stop in the middle of the dance and think of the step, just keep going.

Don't look down at your feet.

hope that help [​IMG]

3. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Just head for the "Mosh Pit " !! [​IMG]

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

For slow dancing, place one hand on her ass and the other hand...ummm... on her ass, too. This should get you through high school [​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

One Mississippi...Two Mississippi...*SLAP*

6. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

Slow dancing is you put both hands on her butt, she puts both hands around your neck, look at each other and just kind of walk around really slowly.

Fast dancing is even less complicated, you just move to the beat, and if you feel natural doing it you should be fine.

Take note that probably half of the other people around you are feeling the same way too, so don't worry about it too much otherwise it shows.

7. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Just find someone to dance with who is impartial. Look in the yellow pages for dance lessons maybe. Forget about "getting by". Trust me. You are going to the dance because you want to impress your date or obtain a date while there. I mean impress in a good way, not show off, I mean make a good solid impression. Take dance lessons now. Either get them from a friend of a friend of a friend. You won't necessarily need the complex types of dances, but you'd be amazed at what you can apply when a song comes on that has a certain rhythm. Practice dancing with someone. That is what you should do.

Here's a simple start.

Using the most common 4/4 time of most modern music, you start standing with your feet apart about a foot. You can either be by yourself or with your arms around a dance partner. The music to use for starting will sound like, One & Two & Three and Four &... Remember, in most modern "rock" music, the One and the Three are bass drum hits and the Two and Four are snare drum hits. Listen to your fave music, find something with 4/4 time and start saying "one & two & three & four &". OK, now you understand the rhythm a bit better.

Lets dance a bit. We'll simply do feet together and feet apart. This is a simple way to learn. Following the beat of the music, you move your feet like this:

Lift your foot on & and place the foot on the ground on the ONE etc, the bass drum or snare hits.

As you follow the beat, 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & etc, on & 1, you lift your right foot on & and move it to the right and place it on the ground on ONE, the bass drum hit. Then on the & 2 you lift your left foot on & and move it in the same direction, to the right and bring your feet back together placing your left foot on the ground on 2. Then you do the same in the opposite direction, to the left. So then & 3 is lifting your left foot on &, moving it to the left and placing it on the ground on 3. To finish, you simply lift your right foot on & and move it left to place it next to your left foot on 4.

Basically its a matter of getting the beat of 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. You are lifting you foot on the & and placing it back on the ground on the 1,2,3 etc. Using this simple method, just lift your feet and place them back down again continually. Put music on in your room and do this to some 4/4 time rock music. Once you get used to lifting on & and placing your foot on the ground on 1 etc etc, you can then lift and move your feet in just about any direction and place them back down just about anywhere within reason. you'll get a feel for it. Dancing goes a bit beyond this simple routine, but this is a good start.

Slow dancing can be done identically, its just done much slower. In slow dancing, sometimes you don't even lift your feet, so much as bob your body. The cool thing about slow dancing is that you do the exact same with your feet, but the direction, in a circle, back and forth, whatever, is determined by the sum of you and your partners movements. Sometimes you will lead the direction, and other times your partner will lead.

Don't think to much about the 1 & 2 & 3 etc etc once you learn it. You don't need to think about the rythum. Once you feel it, you'll adapt to other music times other than 4/4 time.

If this is too simple and you're laughing while readin this because you've already done this, then you've really got a lot less to worry about. If you are already doing the above when you dance, then there isn't much more to learn to do more complicated dances.

I have no really good advice for hands and arm movement. That is wholly subjective and determined by each persons individual style. Video tape dancing on TV and try to copy what you like [​IMG]

I hope I made sense [​IMG]

Have fun and let me know how it goes [​IMG]

9. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

When slow dancing, you might want to try putting your hands on her lower back rather than her butt, as suggested earlier in this thread! Other than that, at a high school dance "slow dancing" is really just being pressed against the other person and walking around the dance floor in circles together. It sounds silly, but it's true.

I wouldn't recommend going to any sort of dance lessons or professional dance instruction if all you're talking about is high school dances. In my experience, when people "dance" they're basically just jumping around, hopping from foot to foot. No one really knows how to dance, or dance steps, or specific movies. When you go, just watch a few other people and copy the "moves" that they're doing. People often do the "dance in a circle" where various people jump into the centre - if you don't jump into the centre that's a pretty low risk way to get started.

I think it ultimately boils down to having confidence that you aren't looking silly, or if you are, you don't care. People throw in lots of silly moves (old timey dance moves, charleston knees, etc.) but it works because they're having fun. I remember I saw a guy doing a "parallel park" move where he was looking over his shoulder, dancing backwards, and turing an imaginary steering wheel with one hand. Kind of silly, but nobody cared.

10. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hahaha. That link is funny. Nick, please don't dance like the above link! [​IMG]

As far as professional dance lessons, I agree, you don't absolutely NEED to get experience with that. However, I think its to your advantage to be able to dance well, and to be capable of many different types of dancing. The point is, if you take dance lessons, you'll be overqualified to dance. That means one variable of the dance experience will be something you don't even have to think about, nevermind worry about. Your prom only happens once and I'm sure you want to get the most out of it.

If you find someone who can show you a few extra simple moves, then by all means, try it. If you can take pro dance lessons for cheap or from someone experienced, then do it. If you get someone as a dance partner who can dance well and the music ends up being a certain style, you ask your partner if they can do such and such a dance and if they can, then you'll have fun, impress your date by having fun together, and impress your smart friends. Yeah, well, the "cool" ones, they'll probably say it looks silly and not macho, but when you win over your date, you'll be happy for sure. Anyone who makes fun of someones ability to dance is jealous because dancing is something woman enjoy, so if you can provide a woman enjoyment, then you're accomplishing something.

As a minimum. as long as you can follow the beat at the dance, both fast, and when you dance with a female partner you like, then thats all you need.

Have fun [​IMG]

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Skip the dance floor, head right to the bar and hit on the hot bartender chicks.

13. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit