What's new

How to cover MDF? (1 Viewer)

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
So I just made a sub out of MDF. What is a good way to make it nice looking. I want it to be black. Can you guys give me some options and pricing? Its a 15inch cube. Thanks.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Primer and paint works great but you'll need to be doing alot of sanding. Wood veneer is my favorite method though.
You can see how I did my speakers in the DIY section of my site: Link Removed

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Im slapping some Sparkle Black Formica laminate on mine...good luck with whatever you decide to do. (the real work begins now
wink.gif
)

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
strangely enough putting the sub box together was easy. Since this was the 2nd one I have made. So where can I find the laminate stuff from? I want to do this soon.

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
you can get laminate at a lot of differnet places. Home depot lowes etc.. should have basic styles avaliable, and can special order others. I believe the respective webpages of the laminate companies (ie Formica, wilsonart..) have dealer locations on them as well.

ChrisA

Second Unit
I agree with formica in Black. Black formica looks excellent, unlike perhaps other colors, Black formica really is top notch. I recommend using the Wilson art matte black finish. That's what I used for the Black Hole subs.
------------------
Link Removed

Julian Data

Second Unit
Chris,
You didn't have any problem adding the laminate to the marine ply? What's involved? Just sanding and making sure the surfaces are flat?
jd
------------------

ChrisA

Second Unit
I actually paid a cabinet shop to laminate them.
Considering those subs were cost no object, I didn't want to take a chance of DIY with something so expensive.
They had no problems whatsoever :)
All I did was fill in screw holes and sand with an orbit sander... Then they picked up all 4 of the BH subs and dropped them back off sometime later all finished. It was worth the extra money.
------------------
Link Removed

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Julian,
You do not have to sand the plywood before applying the laminate. You don't even have to fill the screw holes if you have any. Just make sure the surfaces are free of dust before applying.

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
You do not have to sand the plywood before applying the laminate. You don't even have to fill the screw holes if you have any. Just make sure the surfaces are free of dust before applying.
If you're using the .020"-.030" postforming laminate you do. Any imperfections will show through. The thicker stuff will not.
------------------
Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
[email protected]
Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Julian:
Yes, a radius edge is possible on marine ply. However, that will make covering it with laminate VERY difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks