What's new

How to correct bowing on Sony Wega CRT? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
[Mods: I'm sorry; I meant for this to be in the Displays forum. Please move.]

I've got a Sony Wega KV36HS500; it's the 36" direct-view Sony HDTV from 2002. The lower edge of the image is curved upward, a geometric distortion. It's most noticable in 16:9 movies, where the curvature isn't masked by overscan.

Does anyone know how to correct this? I've searched the forums and Googled and found nothing. There's nothing in HTF of AVS Forums that I could find and the Service Menu and Manual information out there is years out of date, certainly pre-dating my Sony.

Would it be worthwhile trying to order the service manual from Sony? Or should I try to invoke my extended warranty to get this adjusted.

I've survived this issue for two years, but I'm becoming more annoyed by it and would like to reduce this distortion.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think it is time for you to call for your extended warranty.

IIRC, your horizontal isn't holding, and the horizontal is where the high (25,000 volts) is in your TV. There used to be a small pot inside to adjust that with, but I am sure that a tech will have to calibrate it with today's TV's.

When you call, make sure that they understand EXACTLY what is wrong.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks