How to cope with huge amounts of spam?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaveF, Aug 8, 2004.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    There are some good older threads on anti-spam tools, which I'm going to peruse. But, I'm now receiving about 1,000 spam emails each day. Are there tools that are particularly effective for relatively large amounts of spam?

I'm currently running Win98 SE and Outlook '97. My email is forwarded from my web-host provider (I've my own domain name) to my ISP address.

My current anti-spam tool is an older version of the freeware MailWasher. But it doesn't cope well with more than about 100 spams. It choked on the 5000 I had waiting when I got back from a week away from home.

Thanks for any recommendations!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    As a side question, how well does Symantec Internet Security work?

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I used to use POPFile, which worked pretty well, but I just got back from a two and a half month stay in Taiwan. Thus, I couldn't use it to filter out my spam over there, and the spam really started to pile up in my Inbox. So, I had my mail forwarded to Hotmail, and Hotmail's automatic spam filtering has really improved in the past year or two. I set my filter to Low, which means that just obvious spam is caught and never makes it to my Inbox, which eliminates almost all of the spam that I get. Now I can expect maybe 10 spam e-mails a week instead of 100 a day. I don't have to access Hotmail through their website, since Outlook Express can access it now. Although, you have Win98SE, which might not have support for the versions of Outlook Express that support Hotmail, so if that's the case, give POPFile a try. With the way it filters e-mail, I don't think there's any way you could make it choke.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Dave:

I got away from using Outlook. I used to use Outlook and Outlook Express and had a lot of problems. The best freeware solution for me is Mozilla's Thunderbird. It has a great program that "learns" which is spam and which isn't by looking over your accepted email and puts those email addresses in your Inbox. The rest go to your Spam folder for you to look over. You can then click on those that are spam and those that are legit
    and the program will remember that next time you use it. I have found it to be very effective in really cutting out the spam and at the same time allowing those emails that I need to be getting through. Give it a try and see what you think.

Parker

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    ThomasC, I'll look into POPFile.

Parker, I'll give it a whirl. What I didn't mention is that I also use Outlook for my address book. While I can keep it just for my address book and use something else for email, I like having a all-in-one PIM (personal information manager).

I'm currently trying to install a new Zire 72 (upgrading from a Sony Clie). If the new Palm Desktop has adequate address management, perhaps I can chuck Outlook completely. But for the moment, I'm having Zire issues... [​IMG]

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Dave,

I downloaded a trial version of a program called Spam Fighter. It integrates into Outlook and hasn't given me any problems yet. A few other similar programs I tried would choke from time to time on large volumes, but this one has done pretty good for the month I've been using it.
    It puts a few buttons in Outlook and really catches about 90% right after install.
    I have about 10 addresses I keep up with at work, one of them being a webmaster account (which get's deluded with spam). I probably get 100-200 spams a day and maybe 2 or 3 a day get through at most.

I believe the purchase price of the program is $25. You can use it for a month for free, so it's worth a try.

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Dave:

I understand. Another program that I really like is Qurb. It puts a toolbar on in Outlook that allows you to set up a separate directory where all of your spam goes into that directory. Then you can just chose from the spam that you get to keep it or not. It looks at your address book and if they are already in your address book or any that you add later into your inbox and filters out the rest.

Parker

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Parker, as you can see from my newest thread, my spam woes are on hiatus as I put out some new fires... My windows registry got borked, I lost most program preferences, and I'm fighting to get a new PDA configured.

Thanks for the suggestions. The spam problem will have to wait another week or two.

Again, thanks for the comments. As co-owner of HTF, I imagine you get far too much spam. My domain is in the net backwaters, but I now get hammered with garbage email. It's insane. I'm a bit concerned that email will cease to be a useful communication tool in the next few years (unless something major happens).

It would be a shame if the digital scum ruin such a great tool.

9. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

Here is what I did to avoid getting spam:

I opened up two seperate Yahoo email accounts. One is only given to friends, family and others I can trust. The second one is used when ever I have to supply an email address to someone I do not know or if a website asks for an email address to register or buy something.
    This second email address does get killed with Spam, but since I hardly ever need it anyway, I don't care. My second account NEVER gets spam. The only messages I get are messages I want and need. I have recomeded this approach to others who have complained about SPAM and it has worked for all of them.
    Also, even on my second account that gets the SPAM, yahoo does a pretty good job of filtering out the junk into the Bulk folder.
    Now I would not use Yahoo as a businees email or anything as I do not know how secure it is, but it is fine for me to pass some messages or jokes around to family and friends.

I don't really get people who Outlook at home. Why have all that junk on your hard drive taking up space? To me Yahoo mail has been a perfect solution, but I am sure sites like Hotmail would work the same.

My $.02

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I appreciate your suggestions -- they may help others. But I've got my own domain name, and I prefer to use it over a yahoo address.

Well, I don't keep that spam and junkmail. That gets deleted. And I keep emails from friends and family.

And my past experience was that web-based mail systems were very clunky to use. Outlook was a far superior system for creating and reading email.