What's new

How to convert regular cable(RG-6) to S-Video?? (1 Viewer)

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,
I have regular(non-digital) cable TV right now. I do not have a cable box. Just a regular RG-6 cable coming from the outlet straight to my TV. I then run the audio outputs from the TV to my H/K 325.

What I would like, is some type of converter that would convert the RG-6 to s-video w/audio, that will allow me to run it straight to my H/K so I can use the video switching and OSD.

Actually, I would prefer to have a converter that changes it to s-video and toslink/digital audio. Wouldn't this allow me to get DD broadcasts?

The problem is that my cable company doesn't offer a cable box with the outputs I need. So, does someone make an affordable converter/switcher like this? What options do I have that will make it possible to use video switching with my situation?
Thanks,
Mike Allen

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I used to be in the same situation, when I had analog cable, and with a projector...

So I used a VCR. It will be hard to find anything else for as low a price. As for S-Video, although you may save on a TV video connection if you have another s-video source (e.g., DVD player), finding a cheap composite-to-S-Video converter could degrade the picture versus going into the TV via composite (if it matters for your analog cable signal).

Doug

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
toslink/digital audio. Wouldn't this allow me to get DD broadcasts?
If you don't have digital cable, you're almost certainly not receiving a DD signal. A converter can only convert; it can't add something that isn't there.

M.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Thats correct, only digital cable provides a DD signal and even then only the digital channels. The analog channels (which are all channels under 100) will only have analog audio no matter what. If you want digital audio with cable channels, you would need to subscribe to digital cable and use a digital cable box model with digital audio output.

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies.

Okay, forget the digital audio.

So, is there a cable box that I could use that has a s-video output? I looked around a little online, and didn't see any with s-video, and most were descramblers(which I'm not interested in).
Thanks,
Mike Allen

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You don't buy the cable box, you ask your cable company for one and rent it. There are some newer models that support HDTV that have component video and s-video outputs plus digital audio output available from some cable systems.

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Like I said.....my cable company doesn't offer a box like this.

Hence the reason I mentioned buying one.
Mike Allen

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
So, is there a cable box that I could use that has a s-video output? I looked around a little online, and didn't see any with s-video, and most were descramblers(which I'm not interested in).
S-video output on a cable convertor or TV tuner of any kind is pointless. That is because TV is broadcast as a composite signal. It would be best to leave it in composite form until it reaches your TV, since a good quality modern TV will have a very good Y/C separation circuit in it. You may find a descrambler with S-video output... that is because the descrambler has to separate the composite signal into Y/C anyway, in order to repair the syncronization and/or color portions of the signal (i.e. descramble it).

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
It amazes me that there is so much advanced technology out there, and I can't do something that seems so simple :frowning: Oh well.
Mike Allen

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It amazes me that there is so much advanced technology out there, and I can't do something that seems so simple
No one said it can't be done. It's just a question of whether it's worth doing.

The easiest workaround is to get a VCR with S-video output. Connect the cable to the VCR and the VCR to the receiver. Then watch TV through the VCR's tuner.

If you want to look at this as an opportunity to add capabilities to your system, consider investing in an SVHS machine.

Or, alternatively, you could look at something like TiVo or ReplayTV. More of an investment, but you'll get your S-video output, receiver switching and OSD, and you'll be stepping into a whole new world of control over your TV viewing. Check out the PVR area for more information.

M.

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael and Rachael! That's good news. I was planning on getting a Tivo unit soon anyways. I just didn't realize it would convert to s-video. Thanks again!
Mike Allen

Nelson Reyes

Auditioning
I have been looking for solutions to this problem for a long time; there are NO cheap VCR's with high quality tuners, much less with S-Video out.

I know of two products that can do what you want:

1. MPB800 USB 2.0 TV Pro , from Yuan. you can get it at Newegg.com for $220

2. VideoMate Live USB 2.0 TV tuner box , from Compro. Suposedly, you should be able to get it also from newegg.com any time now.

I am NOT endorsing this products, they are just the state of my research on the subject.

Regards,

Nelson I. Reyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks