What's new

How to connect Subwoofer Speaker to a Stereo Receiver? (1 Viewer)

flds

Auditioning
Real Name
Lancy
A subwoofer that is not powered and has 8 push terminals, 4 terminals are Inputs, Right (Red + & Black -), Left (Red + & Black -) (receiver to sub). 4 terminals are Outputs, Right (Red + & Black -), Left (Red + & Black -) to connect to satellite speakers. I do not want to use the satellite speakers terminals on the sub.
The receiver I have is Sony (STR-DE698) it has a surround feature of 5+1 and 7+1, I have the 7 outputs push terminals from the receiver connected to the speakers (2 front, 2 side, 2 back and 1 center), 1 terminal on the receiver is an RCA terminal output for the sub to connect a Monaural audio cord. I need to connect the above mentioned sub.
- Is this possible?
- How to use the 4 inputs on the sub with 1 RCA terminal from receiver?
- What is the best way to use this sub on Sony.
Your answer would be appreciated.
Thanks
FLDS

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
That subwoofer is a passive subwoofer - meaning it requires an amplified signal be sent to it.

You can't use the RCA "pre-out" on the receiver unless you get a additional amplifier for the subwoofer.

Passive subwoofers are intended to be connected via the front L/R speaker terminals. It essentially sits "between" the receiver and your front speakers.

Within the setup menu for the receiver, make sure you set subwoofer to "Off" and your front speakers to "large" - this will ensure that the full range audio signal is routed to the mains.

Connect the L/R speaker terminals on the receiver to the inputs on the subwoofer, and connect the subwoofer's outputs to the main L/R speakers.

The crossover on the subwoofer is used to determine which portion of the signal is passed along to the mains, and which portion is output through the subwoofer. Trial and error can get you the best crossover setting, but it will likely be somewhere between 80 and 120 Hz.

Passive subwoofers are not ideal - they put an awful lot of strain on the receiver.

If you can provide us with a budget, I'm sure we can recommend some powered subwoofers that will perform much better.

For less than $150 you can get a decent Dayton subwoofer from Parts-Express.com, and for around $200 there's the BIC F12 from Amazon just to name a few.

flds

Auditioning
Real Name
Lancy
Hi Jason Charlton and Robert_J,
Thank you for your advise, much appreciated. I will think it over with regards to buying a amp. but for now I will set the receiver as advised by Jason.
FLDS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks