What's new

How to connect Sub Woofer. (1 Viewer)

Hawkeye74

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Hokai
Hi, I had a home theatre system but the amp/receiver thing and the sub got damaged so I've had to replace them. I bought a Sony console and connected all the speakers PS3 etc to it, no problems. Been searching for a sub at a good price and after a couple months finally found a Wharfedale one on sale. Got it home, went to plug the little purple cable into it and found it only has the red/white sockets on the back. No idea if this is compatible with my head deck thingy? It says Vardus 8 Sub on the box. Receiver says STR-DH520 on the front. Any help would be appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since the sub is mono and the preamp out from the receiver is mono, with most subs it doesn't matter which of the two you connect it to. If for whatever reason it doesn't work in the first one you chose, try the other. With some subs it does matter which it is, but my guess is it will work the same in either one.

Hawkeye74

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Hokai
I am extremely sure your answer is probably 100% correct... however I forgot to mention one small fact. I am a complete retard when it comes to this stuff so I need an answer suitable to my knowledge level! Your answer just went WOOSH over my head. Something along the lines of "this kind of cable (colours would be great! )" goes into "this plug( audio in/out)" on the sub and "this plug on the receiver".

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, and point taken :). The purple wire that you are saying you were using previously with your sub, what jack is it connected to on the receiver? It should be connected to a jack labeled subwoofer or LFE. If that is the case, you can connect it to either the red or white input on the sub. Does the plug match the socket on the sub? Like the ones in the middle of the pic below labeled low level?
300-804_li.jpg
From the receiver, it will look like the one here that it by itself near the center and says subwoofer
BP_RX-V461.jpg

Hawkeye74

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Hokai
Yes it is plugged into the "Subwoofer" point on the receiver and I have now plugged it into the "Audio In, Right" on the sub. Once I finish watching UFC 144, I'll throw in a movie and check it out. Pretty happy it should work... was worried I was going to have to return the sub.

Hawkeye74

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Hokai
Such a simple fix.... for a simple guy. Cheers buddy, works fine. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks