What's new

How to connect my LCD Tv to my Home Theater System (1 Viewer)

zirian

Auditioning
Real Name
Emperuman Rajan
I have a Sony Bravia 52 inch W series, a Panasonic SC-HT700 home theater system set up and a Rogers (Canadian) 4250HD box set up too.

Currently I've hooked up my hd box to my tv via hdmi and the panasonic sch-ht700 is a dvd player, soundsystem/receiver as well. I'll find a way to attach the back of both the hd box and the receiver/dvd player.

I have a component cable (the 3 ones with the green,red, blue) and a fibre optic cable that i bought (see attached)

I want to know if its possible to watch regular tv on my home theater

The hd box has a digital optical out, the tv has an optical out,the dvd player/receiver has no optical in

Thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum.
Your STB should have a pair (red/white) of audio out jacks. Run an RCA pair from their to your Panasonic HTiB, which has an RCA audio pair in jacks. Of course you won’t be able to get and telecasts that are in 5.1, but at least you should be able to get your sound through your audio system.

R/T Rick

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Does your TV have an optical-out? I have my HD DVR connected via HDMI (and a HDMI for a future Blu-Ray player). Then run the optical out from the TV to the optical-in in reciever. The TV does all the switching for audio and video except when I use it as a computer or when I decide to play Sega Gensis on it.

zirian

Auditioning
Real Name
Emperuman Rajan
Lew Crippen said:
Welcome to the forum.
Your STB should have a pair (red/white) of audio out jacks. Run an RCA pair from their to your Panasonic HTiB, which has an RCA audio pair in jacks. Of course you won’t be able to get and telecasts that are in 5.1, but at least you should be able to get your sound through your audio system.
So my STB meaning the 4250 HD box? If so that will work? Hmm... So I have the tv remote (Sony), I have the hd box remote and the panasonic remote. Normally to watch tv I use the digital box's remote to control the channels and the volume is controlled by the Sony TV remote. Do I need to turn on the dvd remote? Also the audio in (back of the panasonic is hooked up to the tv) i.e for when watching movies on my dvd player, the sound comes through both my HT speakers and the tv speakers.

zirian

Auditioning
Real Name
Emperuman Rajan
R/T Rick said:
Does your TV have an optical-out? I have my HD DVR connected via HDMI (and a HDMI for a future Blu-Ray player). Then run the optical out from the TV to the optical-in in reciever. The TV does all the switching for audio and video except when I use it as a computer or when I decide to play Sega Gensis on it.
My TV does have an optical out (digital), the receiver doesn't have an optical in unfortunately. Here I'll attach a pic of behind my receiver/dvd player sound system and my hd box:
http://i43.tinypic.com/15555vk.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/5xlxxj.jpg

zirian

Auditioning
Real Name
Emperuman Rajan
Resolved my problem, can the mods please close the topic. Thanks.

I hooked up the RCA cables to Audio Out on the Hd Cable Box, then to Audio In on the Panasonic unit, then hooked up component cables from the panasonic unit to my tv and set the sound options on my tv to external.

giddy1

Auditioning
Real Name
Roy
Hello all,

Am completely new to this and all the techno bits and pieces so shall be very grateful for some expert help!

I have been having problems using my Panasonic SC-PT460 together with my Panasonic LCD TV and my Sky+ HD unit (Amstrad DRX780UK) with particular regard to the optical cable and sending the audio through the theatre sound. I might add that when playing DVDs the surround sound works fine. Although I can connect via the TV menu and the Viera link, no sound comes from the surround system. The Panasonic instruction book is not too clear under the section 'enjoying digital audio', I can follow the instructions until it asks to select the settings; what is MAIN/SAP mode, DRC and PCM FIX mode?

I have connected the surround sound unit to the Sky+ unit and used a splitter (or junction) to connect also to the TV. Is this the correct way to connect or should I be using some other cabling etc?

Shall be most grateful for any help.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Roy.
I’m not too sure exactly how you have all of your components connected, but I’ll try some guidelines.
I assume that your PT460 is connected to your LCD via an HDMI connection. This will send both audio and video to your TV. Of course you probably won’t want to use your TV speakers very often, but you have the option. If you do not have an HDMI connection, you may use component cables to connect, but this will only send video to your TV. In this case (and if you wish to send audio to your TV, connect the audio via the (red/white) audio outputs, as I don’t think that the PT460 has any digital audio outputs.
Next connect the video output from your STB to your TV as the specs I read for the PT 460 indicate that there is no HDMI input for that unit. This gets video from the Sky box to your TV. Now run an optical cable from the Sky box to your PT460 optical input. This will get audio to your surround system. If you care, connect the red/white audio ouputs on the Sky STB to the TV (using the same set of inputs on the TV as where you connected the video.
Now you can choose to use your surround system or your TV for sound.

giddy1

Auditioning
Real Name
Roy
Hi Lew,

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm that my PT460 is connected to my TV with an HDMI cable; there is only an optical in socket on the PT460 which I have connected to the Sky+ box.

I do not have any other cables to connect the PT460 to the TV or the Sky+ box and have followed the diagram (as far as I can) in the operating instructions. I do not know how to make the settings on the PT460 - the instructions suggest 'making settings for digital audio input' but I really don't understand what it is saying. Using what connections I have made - HDMI cable and optical digital audio cable - I use the Viera link button on my TV remote and set the sound to 'home cinema surround' and it then says 'making the connections' but the sound of the TV shuts off and I cannot adjust the volume using the PT460 remote, so I end up with no sound at all.

Maybe I am missing something that is quite simple but I'm afraid I just don't understand all this technical stuff. Any further suggestions would be most welcome.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You have to hit the FM/Ext-in button on the receiver remote until it reads "D-in" to hear sound from the Sky+ box.
Use MAIN, DRC off, "PCM Fix mode" off.

amer3

Auditioning
Real Name
amer
please i need help ... i have triview LCD 42 full HD and i have technosat T-786 HD receiver and i have triview HD DVD player and i have 5.1 creative sound system ( 1 big sub and 5 speakers ) i connect my HD reviver and my HD DVD player throw HDMI cable .. the LCD don't have 1.5 audio out ... i need to know how to connect my sound system to my LCD .. please i need help with that if you need any more info or need photos for any thing that can be in help please tell me with my best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks