What's new

How to connect mpeg files into one big file? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have a number of MPEG-1 files i recoreded but there are a number of them. How do i connect them together, so they play one after another on one big file???

I tried it with Adobe Premier at school, but it had to render the whole file after i put everything together, and that would take a long time. I dont needa render anyhting, i just wanna splice a few MPEGs togehter...

Are there any programs that do taht? Thanks

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I use a program called iFilm Edit... You can get that at Download.com (It's been awhile so I'm not 100% sure)

KevinOuld

Auditioning
An easier and much faster way to do this would be to use a Zip program(WinZip, WinRar, PowerArchiver etc). All you do is select the files you want. Make sure they are in the correct order (i.e. part1.mpg, part2.mpg, part3.mpg) as windows sometimes puts em in a weird order when selecting multiple files. Right click on one of the selected files and choose add to zip(may be different depending on program used). A dialogue box should come up. The most important setting you need to choose is under compression, make sure to choose "no compression"(again may be different, in WinRAR and think it is called "store" or something like that). The just choose a filename and where you want the file and start the process.
When complete you should have a zip file which would contain the files you wanted to merge together. Just rename the file to have an .mpg extension. The file should play as an mpg.
I used to use a program called Camel's MPG Join but it doesn't seem to work in Windows XP, so if you're using Win98 or something try it.
Good Luck. Hope it helps. :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thanks kevin, the Camel program worked great (once i set it to Win98/ME compatibility mode), but the output file doesnt show the correct length of the file.

It only shows the length of the last file of the list I joined together, and when i go to play it, it stops once it gets to that time.

IE: There are 3 videos, 5, 10, and 20 seconds. When i join them together, the player only sees it as a 20 second clip rather than 35. The video stops at 35 seconds. I can click the progress-time bar thingy (with the cursor moving along the bar), and itll advance, but its hard to get the right time, and make it play just continuously.

Can i fix this?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
the problem is that the start/stop markers were not set right

rejoin them with TMPEG (just do a search)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks