How to connect driver to input terminals?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VinhT, May 22, 2002.

1. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I have the original Parts Express 10" Titanic subwoofer driver which has binding posts, so that connection is easy. I also have the PE 260-311 terminal cup that I'd like to connect the driver to. The exterior side of the cup has binding posts, but the interior side just has some metal strips with a little hole in them.

My first thought was to perhaps solder wire to the terminals, but I'm sure there has to be a better way, and crimping is probably the answer. However, I have absolutely no experience with crimping. So, could someone recommend what type of crimping tool I should buy and what else I need to buy in order to connect speaker wire (say 16 gauge) to the cup terminals?

Thanks,
    Vinh

Just a quick note, I used to use a plate amp, so never ran into this problem before.

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

imo, solder is the best way. you cant beat the melting and fusing together of two metals to become one.

3. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

you can pick up a generic set a any local walmart, and they almost always come with at least a few connectors as a kit.. Here is a link to one sold by radioshack..
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=64%2D409
    pretty inexpensive, but will do the job the same as almost all other crimpers.. The stripping portion of these tools is what really keeps these from being better, but for a couple of crimps, you don't need to buy anything better. The connectors you need would be in this kit, and they are made to snugly fit over those metal strips with holes in them. Most speakers have the same type of connectors on them as well. Just make sure to keep the wire lenght short enough to keep the excess from rattling around inside the enclosure.