What's new

How to connect desktop PC to Denon receiver (1 Viewer)

satimis

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Liu
Hi all,

I have following questions. Please help.

1)
How to connect PC sound card to Denon AVR2801 receiver, without using an "analogue-to-digital converter"

Can I make use of the sound card analoge out which is for connecting PC speakers? If YES which port of Denon AVR 2801 receiver shall I connect it to the former?

2)
Can I play .mp3 .wav .mp4 digital files saved on an USB stick direct on Denon AVR2801 receiver?

I have converted all my audio CDs on computer to;
.mp3 .wav files

and Video CDs to
,mp4 .wav files

Thanks in advance.

Regards

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If your sound card or PC has RCA stereo out, then you should be able to connect those to your analog receiver. Use whatever input makes you happy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Your PC sound card doesn't have any digital outputs? IF it does, that's probably the best way to go. IF not, yeah, you can just use analog connection. Your AVR comes w/ plenty of inputs for both options, but it most likely will do its own analog-to-digital conversion, if using analog connection, before converting back to analog again for amplified output.

IF your PC sound card only has a mini-stereo analog output, you'll probably need to use a standard splitter (mini-stereo to separated stereo RCA).

And your AVR doesn't seem to have any USB inputs, so no to that 2nd question -- AFAIK, not that many AVRs come w/ that capability anyway.

_Man_

satimis

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Liu
If your sound card or PC has RCA stereo out, then you should be able to connect those to your analog receiver. Use whatever input makes you happy.
Hi@DaveF,

Thanks for your advice.

My PC built-in sound card on motherboard has stereo out for connecting stereo speakers.

But I couldn't figure out which port to use on the rear panel of my Denon AVR2801 receiver ?

1715916177667.png

Besides what are the technical names of the cable for connection and the plug to use?

Please help. Thanks

Regards

Last edited:

satimis

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Liu
Your PC sound card doesn't have any digital outputs? IF it does, that's probably the best way to go. IF not, yeah, you can just use analog connection. Your AVR comes w/ plenty of inputs for both options, but it most likely will do its own analog-to-digital conversion, if using analog connection, before converting back to analog again for amplified output
Hi@Man,

Thanks for your advice.

My sound card, built-in on motherboard, doesn't have digital outputs. I need to use "analogue-to-digital converter", if needing digital out. I found many of them online but couldn't figure out which of them is suitable for me to use

IF your PC sound card only has a mini-stereo analog output, you'll probably need to use a standard splitter (mini-stereo to separated stereo RCA).

And your AVR doesn't seem to have any USB inputs, so no to that 2nd question -- AFAIK, not that many AVRs come w/ that capability anyway.

_Man_
I'll connect the mini-stereo analog output direct to my Denon receiver but I couldn't figure out which port on the rear panel of my Denon receiver to use. What is the technical names of cable and plug to be used

This is ONLY a TEST.

My Denon receiver doesn't have USB inputs. I'm searching for a solution, if ANY.

It is quite interesting to me. When I was a small boy I built my own radio receiver and amplifier on components, resistors, capacitors, RCA vaccum tubes etc. Now I'm coming back

Regards

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Get a 3.5 mm to RCA male splitter cable in the length you need (see link below). Connect the single end into the computer's headphone jack. Plug the other two ends into the jacks on the back of the Denon labeled "CD."

On the Denon's front panel, turn the "Function" knob until "CD" appears on the display.

Somewhere in the Denon manual it will tell you how to set the receiver for stereo playback.

Please note, this will give you music only. If you intend to play back videos, you will need to get a new receiver that has HDMI inputs (assuming your computer has HDMI output).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Any port. Doesn't matter. Just set the Denon's input selection to the port you chose.

Most every input on this AVR has both in/out and/or video jacks associated with it. I recommended CD to minimize possible confusion for this OP. He's not just a greenie, he's a seedling. :)

No offense intended to @satimis - after all, we all started somewhere!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Beyond what Wayne said, if you actually have working analog audio output in your PC's back panel, I'd probably suggest using that instead of the headphone jack in the front -- that might possibly work noticeably better (and reduce clutter).

No idea if it'll be worthwhile to you (at least at this time), but eventually, you might also wanna figure out if there is a specific analog audio input on the AVR that might allow bypassing any unnecessary (possibly noticeably quality degrading), internal A-to-D->D-to-A conversions. Some older, lower-end AVRs from the better makers/brands used to offer such, eg. my old Yamaha. And since your Denon doesn't handle HDMI, it very well might have ability to bypass such conversion/processing, if the AVR normally, automatically add such extra conversion/processing -- the CD analog input might actually also be the most likely one that can bypass any such extra conversion/processing, if you use whatever "direct" audio mode.

_Man_

satimis

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Liu
Hi all,

Lot of thanks for your advice and continue support.

I'm not prepared using my old Denon avr and waisting my time on it. I'll build a new Home Theatre PC with following configuration:-

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16C 32T)

Motherboard - ASUS PRIME X570-P

Video card - NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER] (rev a1) (already available)

Display - Dell 32" 4K display (already available)

RAM - 2x32G DDR5

I'll use this PC for daily working as well as Home Theatre. I need a powerful PC for daily working.

How to Build a Home Theater PC

I have long experience building PC on components.

I need a powerful sound card, not the built-in sound card on the motherboard, with audio-out for connecting my Energy subwoofer and another audio-out for connecting my Wharfedale column speakers

Comment and suggestion would be appreciated

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TomReagan
Recent bookmarks