What's new

How to connect coax->6 separate line in (1 Viewer)

Joakim

Auditioning
I have a DVD-player (ONKYO DV-C600) and a reciever (ONKYO A-SV550). My problem is that the DVD has optical and coaxial digital 5.1 out, but the reciever (which is dolby digital 5.1 compatible) requires dolby input from 6 different cables. (one for each channel)
The digital coax-out on the DVD only beeing 1 cable...

Is there someway to connect those to eachother?
Some splitter from the coax maybe ??

Thanks for any help =)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Joakim,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you really sure? The 6 inputs may be the "direct mode". In that mode your audio will circumvent the decoders in your receiver. But the audio from the DVD-player has to be decoded first, so there should also be either a coax-in or an optical-in (or both).

I'm not familiar with that particular receiver, and if it's an older one it may have Dolby Surround only - in which case two normal stereo inputs (L and R) are needed from your player (they are there!).

Perhaps one of our members knows that receiver well, or else you may want to consult the manual once again.

Good luck!

Cees

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is no way for you to get this to work. What you are saying is you need to convert from digital to multi-channel analog. Sorry to say it, but your simplest solution is to either upgrade the receiver or DVD player.

Your main problem is that the player does not have built in decoding, in which case, that would likely be the least expensive route for upgrade.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

Do you know that particular model? Are you sure it has no decoder(s)?

Cees

Joakim

Auditioning
Hi everbody, and thanks for all the replys !

Here are what is said at the features page in the manual on the ONKYO A-SV550 reciever:

-Dolby Digital and DTS/MPEG-2 ready with 5.1-channel direct inputs.
-Lucasfilm Cinema RE-EQ(tm) circuit
-Discrete output stage for all channels

And at the connect "DVD 5.1 ch player" page:

When using a DVD player connected to the MULTI-CH input jacks, set SPEAKERS a button on the fron to ON and set SPEAKERS B button to OFF.
And there is a picture of a dvd connected to the reciever Video-out, F/L FRONT out, F/L SOURROUND OUT, SUBWOOFER out, CENTER OUT.

So it sure seems it handles dolby 5.1 digital... ?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Joakim,

If there's no other input than that, it can only handle Dolby Digital (and DTS) after they stopped being DD and DTS. To use that receiver in that case, you would need an extra decoder, either a discrete one (seem hardly to get by these days) or inside a DVD-player.

So you need either: a DVD-player-with-Dolby Digital decoding or a receiver-with-DD decoder, or a DD-decoder.

Cees

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am not familiar with this particular player either, but based on what he said, I would have to guess that it does not have a built in decoder.

Buying an external decoder at this point, will probably cost as much or more than the receiver in question, and approach a current, less expensive receiver already (though you may be able to find a used decoder for cheap). This is why I recommend upgrading one of the two components. The DVD player will almost certainly be less expenisve to replace, however I feel you will benefit more by moving to a more current receiver. An Onkyo TX-SR500 or -600 could be found at a good price right now because the new models just came out (-501 and 601).

Joakim

Auditioning
Well, thanks guys!
Guess im gonna try and find a new reciever :frowning:
Though I'll keep the dvd-player, it's a 6-disc player.

//Joakim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks