How to Connect a Sub for Stereo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wolters, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I know how to connect a sub for DD. Pretty simple, just plug it into the LFE output on the receiver. Now when I want to listen to music via the CD inpupt on my receiver in normal 2 channel stereo mode how should the sub inputs be connected?

2. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

There is no difference in the connection to your receiver. The way I have mine hooked up is the rca cable going from my receiver, then I have a Y splitter attatched to the end of the cable, that attatches to the left and right inputs on you sub. That simple.

3. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

So you go from the LFE to a Y connector to the left and right on the sub input?

4. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I am really going to sound like a newbie here, but I am planing on using a rca to the sub for my lfe signals, I need to also have a different cable hooked to the sub if I want to utilize the sub in 2-channel stereo?

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Unless your receiver provides sub output support in 2-channel mode, or your sub has speaker level inputs and outputs (receiver's speaker out -> sub -> main speakers using the sub's crossover) you probably can't.

You can use an electronic crossover between your mains and sub, which is what I do. Then you can set the xover at any frequency you chose.

But, this requires specific capabilities on the receiver (preouts amp input jumper plugs). The electronic crossover goes between the Main L&R preouts and amp inputs with the xover's main outs going to the receiver's amp inputs and the xover's sub outs going to the powered sub.

You must then set SUB=NO in the receiver's setup menu, mains=Large, and nothing would be plugged into the the receiver's sub-out jack. This would be the same setup for a sub connected through the main speaker terminals discussed above using the sub's internal crosoover.

BruceD

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Jeff,

Could you draw a small signal chart, I don't quite understand what your doing?

like this,

receiver main L&R out -> L&R speakers

receiver sub out Mono -> sub input L&R with Y cable

BruceD

7. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Hey Guys!

I may sound like a newbie as well, but I thought I'd amend my question to this thread. Could someone explain to me the differences between a high-level connection and a low-level connection.

Here's my receiver & subwoofer:

Technics SA-AX720 (has A & B main speaker output terminals)

Energy e:XL-S8

I currently have it connected via a single RCA plug from my receiver to the sub's input. My sub also has a 'high-level' input (left +/- & right +/- terminals). What is the proper way to hook the sub up using these terminals. Will this high-level connection result in better bass responce?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy

8. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Jeremy,

I spoke about this earlier in this thread, high-level outputs being the same as speaker outputs.

quote:

---------------------------------------------------------

Unless your receiver . . . , or your sub has speaker level inputs and outputs (receiver's speaker out -> sub -> main speakers using the sub's crossover) you probably can't. . . .

You must then set SUB=NO in the receiver's setup menu, mains=Large, and nothing would be plugged into the the receiver's sub-out jack.

----------------------------------------------------------

As I said:

Receiver L&R speaker output -> sub -> main L&R speakers

Doing it this way means you have to set the sub's internal crossover to send all the higher frequencies on to the main speakers.

Many think this may not sound as good as other methods (the sub crossover filters the sound going to the mains).

--------------

One other method is to connect speaker cables from both main speakers and sub to the same speaker output jacks giving you bass from both mains and sub;

receiver L&R speaker outs -> main speakers

same receiver L&R speaker outs -> powered sub L&R speaker in

Again, SUB=NO in the receiver's setup menu, mains=Large, and nothing would be plugged into the the receiver's sub-out jack.

You would need to experiment to find the best sub crossover frequency that matched the best with your mains.

---------

REL subs do it slightly duifferently, but I won't go into that here.

BruceD