What's new

How to connect a PC to Bose 5.1 home theater (1 Viewer)

mitzaotomitza

Auditioning
Real Name
Mitzao
I have a msi big bang x79 with both optical and sdpif.
I hant to connect it to my bose 5.1 H.T to the Aux input.
For a reason there is no audio out. I updated the realtek driver and still nothing.
What do you thing I am missing here.
I tried to get the audio from my nvidia660ti card and still no luck. This card should deliver audio through hdmi cable.
Do you thing that there might be a conflict between the nvidia audio and msi realtek ???

Thank you for any idea!

Mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would help to tell us what Bose system this is. Aux input could mean analog, optical or digital coax.

Pictures of your outputs on your PC and this Bose would be preferred.

mitzaotomitza

Auditioning
Real Name
Mitzao
Thank you for helping me.
I spend 5 days trying to figure this out.
I will come with pics soon.
Right now I have on the back of the pc ( MSI Big Bang x79) a optical imput and a coax s/pdif. I plugged the optical bale to the Bose optical receiver under Aux ( it doesn t matter it can be dvd or else). There is no sound. I disabled the Nvidia660ti audio so I have only realtek audio driver.

I am coming with pictures , looks like 100K is too much too upload.

Mike

mitzaotomitza

Auditioning
Real Name
Mitzao
655543757_tp.jpg
IMG_5544.jpg

I have two coaxial on lower left corner and 5 optical imputs.
I tried to connect the optical imput the pv, then the coax, then both coax+optical.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
mitzaotomitza said:
I have a msi big bang x79 with both optical and sdpif.
I hant to connect it to my bose 5.1 H.T to the Aux input.
For a reason there is no audio out. I updated the realtek driver and still nothing.
What do you thing I am missing here.
I tried to get the audio from my nvidia660ti card and still no luck. This card should deliver audio through hdmi cable.
Do you thing that there might be a conflict between the nvidia audio and msi realtek ???

Thank you for any idea!
Assuming you've got the hdmi running out from your nvidia and into an HDMI IN at the back of your receiver labeled aux, other then the obvious ( making sure the avr is on the AUX input ) - check that in your settings of your bose avr, that the aux input is set to HDMI or Auto as opposed to analog or optical or whatever other options it's got on there.

Also - If your trying to get sound out of the discrete video card, you must make sure it's set to output sound in the bios. If in your bios it's set to onboard sound, and you're trying to get sound via a cable coming out of your video card, you won't get anything.

If you do decide to go with the 660 hdmi out, disable / uninstal the realtek drivers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What Bose is that?Not that I've followed Bose, but HD VGA? So that means that Bose actually, once, made a useful product?I also have a feeling you are missing a setup step, such as pairing the toslink to the Aux. But a manual would be helpful.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
mitzaotomitza said:
655543757_tp.jpg
IMG_5544.jpg

I have two coaxial on lower left corner and 5 optical imputs.
I tried to connect the optical imput the pv, then the coax, then both coax+optical.
Ok, the two ports you see on the lower left are digital ports, consisting of a digital coax and an optical port. You'll need an optical cable or a digital coax cable to connect either one of those. The colored ports on the right are 3.5mm jacks for connecting analog audio.

You have three options. 1. Connect the optical cable ( from the green port on the lower left ) to the optical port on your device, 2. connect a digital coax cable from the orange port above the green one on the left to the coax in on the back of your device, or three, install your video card, turn off on board audio in bios while enabling video card audio, then run an hdmi from your GPU to your device. The jacks on the far right are 3.5mm analog jacks and there's no where from the picture of your unit to plug them in to, so forget about those. What exactly is that, a bose optical receiver? is it an AVR, or is it some kind of 5.1 all in one dvd player?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My bad, that is HDMI. Looked on my phone prior and could have sworn that was HD VGA.

But my prior guess still stands. It appears you can't just connect optical/dig coax and "it works". Looks(from them being "other there") to be they are assignable somewhere. I could be wrong cause I've not(as far as I know) seen this Bose "AVR".

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
schan1269 said:
My bad, that is HDMI. Looked on my phone prior and could have sworn that was HD VGA.

But my prior guess still stands. It appears you can't just connect optical/dig coax and "it works". Looks(from them being "other there") to be they are assignable somewhere. I could be wrong cause I've not(as far as I know) seen this Bose "AVR".
Here's the specifications for that MB.. Pretty impressive motherboard actually:
http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower-II.html#?div=Detail

What I can't tell from the picture is whether any of those are HDMI outs on the back of panel of the MB. It LOOKS like there's two to the left of the 4 usb 3.0 blue slots, but reading the specs it doesn't mention anything about HDMI - which is weird as it's such a powerful board you'd think they'd have included an HDMI out. Maybe because those analog outs are run by a soundblaster Xfi built into the board they just assume the purchaser would use those over HDMI. I was thinking that might be the easiest way to do it as opposed to messing around with his bios settings.

The bottom line though is you're probably right, regardless of what he runs out of his PC he's got to make sure the input that the cable is going into on his bose is assigned. So if Aux can be HDMI / Optical / analog or auto, he's got to make sure it's set to Auto to detect whatever he's running in there ( or actually select the type of cable he's putting in )

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are those two HDMI? I can't fathom why you would need 10 USB, let alone 8. I also wasn't aware any MB would have an HDMI input anyway. It would be simplest to put any digital content into the computer with a BD drive connected USB anyway...so what would a HDMI input be for?

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
schan1269 said:
Are those two HDMI? I can't fathom why you would need 10 USB, let alone 8. I also wasn't aware any MB would have an HDMI input anyway. It would be simplest to put any digital content into the computer with a BD drive connected USB anyway...so what would a HDMI input be for?
Did I say input accidentally? HDMI output from the motherboard for audio is what I mean. Are you replying to me or the OP? lol. I'm getting confused.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm asking both of you. It is his MB. He should know what he bought.

I went back and re-read and I don't see where it says "HDMI input"...so maybe my eyes deceive me...or I infered "HDMI out" because of...

"What I can't tell from the picture is whether any of those are HDMI outs"

Whereas I though you meant "input if not output"...

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
schan1269 said:
I'm asking both of you. It is his MB. He should know what he bought.

I went back and re-read and I don't see where it says "HDMI input"...so maybe my eyes deceive me...or I infered "HDMI out" because of...

"What I can't tell from the picture is whether any of those are HDMI outs"

Whereas I though you meant "input if not output"...
Well in any case there's not much more we can suggest until we hear back from the OP :) Again I suspect we're both right in that it's as simple as assigning the proper input somewhere in the settings of his bose.

mitzaotomitza

Auditioning
Real Name
Mitzao
the HDMI output is from the nvidia660ti graphic card .
I have plenty INPUTS on the BOSE RECEIVER.
It just doesn't work.
I went to the bios and got rid of the onboard audio, I disabled the realtek crap, I only have nvidia hdmi right now ,still NADA.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
mitzaotomitza said:
the HDMI output is from the nvidia660ti graphic card .
I have plenty INPUTS on the BOSE RECEIVER.
It just doesn't work.
I went to the bios and got rid of the onboard audio, I disabled the realtek crap, I only have nvidia hdmi right now ,still NADA.
Did you make sure that the video card sound is enabled in bios? Can't remember the name in my BIOS atm, but it probably is located right under where you turn your onboard sound off. Did you go into the settings of your bose receiver, under input assign, and assign the AUX setting to AUTO or HDMI?

mitzaotomitza

Auditioning
Real Name
Mitzao
Hello everyone!

I moved on a bit
I disabled the on-board audio, uninstall the msi realtek driver and left only the nvidia.
I can see the Bose on the playback device listed.
I have to repeat that the sound is coming from Nvidia 660ti video card through a HDMI cable to the Bose PS28 III system.

The bios only let me to diable the onboard sound , I can t find anything which will ask me about the video card sound.
MSI big bang x79

Still no sound even if the default device is shown as active and the green eq is moving as if there is a sound.
What other settings ?? I should try

THX

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r701/mitzaotomitza/nvidiasettings_zpsca498d98.png?t=1371487588

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
mitzaotomitza said:
Hello everyone!

I moved on a bit
I disabled the on-board audio, uninstall the msi realtek driver and left only the nvidia.
I can see the Bose on the playback device listed.
I have to repeat that the sound is coming from Nvidia 660ti video card through a HDMI cable to the Bose PS28 III system.

The bios only let me to diable the onboard sound , I can t find anything which will ask me about the video card sound.
MSI big bang x79

Still no sound even if the default device is shown as active and the green eq is moving as if there is a sound.
What other settings ?? I should try

THX

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r701/mitzaotomitza/nvidiasettings_zpsca498d98.png?t=1371487588
Those pictures of your bose show you've got the optical cable plugged in under AUX, but I don't see any hdmi cables anywhere. You do have the HDMI cable coming out of your nvidia do you not? The optical cable won't do anything for you now that you've disabled onboard sound are are expecting the nvidia to transmit via HDMI. Where do you have the other end of the hdmi cable ( the end NOT plugged into the video card ) - could you take a picture of the back of the bose with your HDMI cable plugged - it might clear something up.

mitzaotomitza

Auditioning
Real Name
Mitzao
I understand !
Sorry for not updating the pictures.
I just uninstalled the realtek MSI motherboard drivers and disable the hdmi from bios.
Now I have only the Nvidia card and the Bose connected through an HDMI cable ( itred another one just to meke sure that the cable is ok).
I pluged my iphone to an analog red/white imput to double check / the sound is perfect.
I think I am going to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and reinstall it again.
I can see my bose on the playback devices, and is active - still no sound.
Please ask me any question and I will get back . I want to make sure that the system is well described. Once again the HDMI output is from the Nvidia not from the MSI motherboard.

THX

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks