How to complain about local FOX affiliate?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
http://www.fox4now.com/

For years now this affiliate has been lax about providing HDTV content on their digital channel. Countless American Idol episodes have been broadcast in standard 4X3 format for the first half of the show then switched to HDTV half-way through. Yesterday I was forced to watch the Bucs play half their game in standard format until they switched it over. When I called they said that an engineer was working on it but has yet to determine if it is a national or local problem. WTF?? Sounds like they need a new engineer!

A brief search online and I can find many frustrated viewers have posted similar experiences. I know that FOX (and even the affiliate) have invested considerable sums of money to provide HDTV - it seems like a huge waste for this recurring issue to continue. I do not accept their issue about the signal - that is an obvious smokescreen considering the frequency of which it occurs.

I suspect that complaining to the local affiliate will continue to produce zero action - they obviously are not concerned about this. I was wondering if there was a network person who would be more interested in hearing about the lackadaisical attitude of the local affiliate in providing their content?

What do you think would be the most effective way to get results?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
The network has certainly invested alot of money in HDTV - I have to beleive someone there wants to see it used...

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
They'd be more concerned about things that lots of viewers care about than about things that few viewers care about.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
which is why I thought that this should be bought to the attention of someone higher than the local affiliate - lots of people DO care.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
IMO, I'd contact the local advertisers, and just tell them that you're expecting HD, but not getting it, so you're turning the channel - and not watching their ads!

Glenn

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd contact the affiliate. They're not going to be overly concerned but if you keep contacting every time it happens, they'll eventually want some answers as to why someone isn't doing their job right.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
trouble with that i shtat the people capable of doing something about it at the local level are not the ones answering the phones. It is apparent that they don't give a rip how many calls their subordinates take from unhappy viewers. Much of the advertizing comes from ad agencies who are only concerned with nielsen ratings...

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Call the on-duty broadcast engineer and talk to him. Call in the middle of the night, when the receptionist isn't there, and if it's like a lot of places, you'll get a voice-mail system which prompts you for an extension, or to enter the name of the party you are trying to contact. Punch combinations like A-I-R and C-O-N-T, and if it gives you one that doesn't respond, try dialling extensions one up and one down, and so forth. Make your concerns known to the broadcast engineer — those night shifts are lonely, and if you know what you're talking about, he'll be glad to talk to you. He can probably give you the name or extension of someone to contact, and if he can't, call the same extension back the next day, and the day-shift engineer may be able to transfer you to someone in management.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
My local NBC affiliate occasinally has a problem with the 5.1 sound feed where all the sounds come from all the speakers. No seperation. The first time it happened it went on for a few days before I e-mailed the chief engineer and it was corrected immediatley with a thank you and an explanation of why it happened. The next time it happened I tried calling but couldn't get a hold of anyone technical and sent the email again. The third time I just sent the email and asked if I was the only one complaining and he said yes, but to please keep him informed as they don't moniter the digital channel constantly as they do with the analog, just spot checks. That no one else complained still amazes me but it just goes to show that HD is still the new kid and we are still in the minority.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo