How to collapse threads?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeorgeTW, Dec 2, 2002.

1. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

When I see 7 pages of new posts from just one afternoon, I wish their was a way to reduce the number of multiple replies under the same thread. Is there a way to collapse the replies so that when I "view new posts", only the updated threads updates are listed, as opposed to 5 replies under the same thread? This could reduce the number of 'new' pages by a few percentage points.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    George:

The only thing that you can really do is to go to the User Control Panel > Edit Options and set the Default Thread Views and the Default Posts per Thread to a lower number.

In the Default Posts per Thread there is an option to only show you those posts that have been made since you last logged in for example.

Parker

3. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

I did set my preferances to minimize the default thread views, and the default posts, but now all I get is the following message.

"There seems to have been a slight problem with the Home Theater Forum database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
    An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

I know this is a high traffic site, as evidenced by how long it takes pages to load, and was the original reason for wanting to reduce multiple replies under the same thread.
    By the time I can vew a page, threads have already been updatd, and I wait 3-5 minutes for a page to update.

This is the only forum I visit which has this delay.