What's new

How to coat seal copper/brass (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
We have one of those "hand tooled" copper/brass round tables from the Mediterranean passed along years ago from Navy life. It's a semiannual labor intensive chore to Brasso (that's not being done any more).

Anyone know of a process, maybe a bath dip, that seals in the shine?

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
clear spray laquer. if you were in the Navy, it's the same stuff that you had to polish off your new belt buckle.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
The problem with laquer is that it dulls when it gets old. And if it wears away you'll get spotted tarnishing. Then repolishing laquered brass is an even bigger problem because you have to strip off all the laquer first. Of course, if this is a Navy antique then it may have originally been laquered since brass has to be laquered in a marine environment.

But if it's not exposed to a harsh environment then I suggest just rubbing it down with olive oil occasionally to prevent tarnishing.

Also, if it's a valuable piece (or even just sentimental) I'd consult a museum expert before trying to seal in the shine. You could end up doing more damage than good if you aren't careful.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Thanks all.

Bill, this is one of those fluted-edge, oriental curliqued etched turkish style coffee tables, close to 4 ft diameter. So it's indoor furniture. I dont use it as a table any more, but it wud look nice all shined up and mounted on a wall like a tapestry (bedroom, not audio speaker room).

It prob wud cost lots to have some metal shop dip it to preserve it, so perhaps DIY spray lacquer might be the answer in such a climate controlled, no direct sunlight environment.

Comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks