What's new

How to clean Yamaha receiver remote ? (1 Viewer)

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2300 and my wife spilled some lemonade on the remote. Its all sticky, I have cleaned everything in the crevices, but one button, the TV volume up button gets stuck up but functions fine. How do I clean this from the inside ?

Thx

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you only have one choice. you're going to have to take it apart. does this remote have hard-plastic buttons or rubber ones? if you're lucky, you'll have just the rubber membrane. if you're unlucky, each plastic button will have to be individually cleaned.

once you open it, clean everything with a *MILD* soap solution. do NOT use rubbing alcohol as it will dry out any rubber. make sure you clean the top portion of the remote, the membrane, and the actual electrical contacts on the circuit board. let everything dry thoroughly - i actually use a blow-dryer to facilitate drying.

once everything is clean and dry, just put it back together. i promise you will be amazed at how much better it works.

ps - don't ask me how i know about this so well. ;)

[edit] q-tips are a god-send here....

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
There are other techniques, too. This one worked quite well for us the last time someone spilled a high-sucrose beverage on the remote...

Get yourself some Stren High Impact Monofilament fishing line - 12lb. or 15lb. test is recommended over the thinner gauge 10lb. test (especially for longer runs ;~). Tie the monofilament line securely around the remote, making sure that you have encircled the remote both lengthwise (the long, head-to-tail way) and around the waist. The choice of knots is really up to you, but make sure that the remote is securely tied - this is important, so check your work. Also make sure there are at least two and preferably three or more feet of line left hanging from the remote.

Grab the line tightly (at least two or three feet away from the hog-tied remote). Drop the remote into a clean toilet and flush completely at least six times. Do not short-change your remote - let the tank completely refill between flushes. Simply laying the remote in a urinal and flushing away is also cheating and will be dealt with harshly. Once you have completed at least six full flushes (and up to a dozen consecutive flushes can be used if your water bill can stand the strain), pull the remote out of the toilet, place it on a towel, and carry it out to your car.

When you arrive at the car, briskly shake the remote a few times to remove any excess surface liquids. Then tightly tie the monofilament line to the top of the radio antenna (remember that two-to-three feet part? This is why). If you do not have an external antenna you could tie to a roof rack, but tying to a bumper is generally discouraged. Once the remote is secured to the antenna (or whatever), hop in the car and drive at the maximum legal speeds for at least 30 minutes until you reach your local AV emporium. The 30-minute minimum is really unimportant - driving to the AV superstore is what counts, 'cause once you get there you gotta hop out of your car, go inside, and buy another remote.

PS - you can also untie that first remote now...

PPS - on rereading the directions, I noticed that I did not clearly specify whether to gently drop the remote into the toilet bowl or the reservior tank. I apologize for that oversight. For common sugar-content liquids either will do, but for malt sugar (and hops) liquids only the bowl will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks