How to clean my receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Johnson, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I happen to have a fireplace in my living room/HT. Being such a small room & the fireplace being about 10 feet away things tend to get a bit dusty. How do I dust the top of the receiver properly. BTW. The receiver is in an entertainment stand so it is protected, but the dust still seems to find its way in [​IMG]
    Thanks for any input.
    Brian

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I use pledge grab-its or swiffer clothes because a regular cloth will just push the dust down into the component, but I find that these cloths actually grab up the dust instead of pushing it around. Hmm imagine that, they work as advertised [​IMG]

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also like to occasionally (probably twice a year) open up the box and give it a good cleansing with compressed air. even with good maintenance, you'd be surprised how much dust accumulates inside.
    i usually do this for all my components...you gotta unplug everything anyway! [​IMG]

4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tips... I was afraid of just pushing the dust down into the receiver. I guess I ll go raid my womans cleaning supplies.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

6. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Actually, you aren't suppose to clean electronic components. After they get real dusty that is an indicator that it is time to upgrade! [​IMG]
    I recently started using the Swiffer wipes and they do work pretty well. Before that I used Tack Cloth. This is a wax covered cloth found in hardware stores. It is normally used when cleaning a surface for painting, especially after sanding. They work great for areas with a heavy coating of dust. Be careful not to repeatedly go over an area already clean with a Tack Cloth. You might leave a bit of the wax residue behind. I used Tack Cloth on equipment for years without any sticky build up using this method.
    -Keith

7. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Endust for electronics, and cloth diapers from Target.[​IMG]
    L