What's new

How to clean my receiver? (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I happen to have a fireplace in my living room/HT. Being such a small room & the fireplace being about 10 feet away things tend to get a bit dusty. How do I dust the top of the receiver properly. BTW. The receiver is in an entertainment stand so it is protected, but the dust still seems to find its way in :D
Thanks for any input.
Brian

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I use pledge grab-its or swiffer clothes because a regular cloth will just push the dust down into the component, but I find that these cloths actually grab up the dust instead of pushing it around. Hmm imagine that, they work as advertised ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also like to occasionally (probably twice a year) open up the box and give it a good cleansing with compressed air. even with good maintenance, you'd be surprised how much dust accumulates inside.
i usually do this for all my components...you gotta unplug everything anyway! :)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips... I was afraid of just pushing the dust down into the receiver. I guess I ll go raid my womans cleaning supplies.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
How to clean my receiver?
I just pop that sucker into my washer and dryer with a little woolite.
But my wife doesn't like the resulting dents on the inside of each after. Makes a lot of noise during, too!
And I can't figure this one out: none of the receivers I have tried this with have worked after I've cleaned them this way. Maybe I'm using the wrong detergent or water temp setting...
:D
(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
I just use a cotton towel moistened with water. I like the idea of opening stuff up and blowing the dust out too. I'd just be a little afraid I'd screw something else up while I'm in there! :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Actually, you aren't suppose to clean electronic components. After they get real dusty that is an indicator that it is time to upgrade! ;)
I recently started using the Swiffer wipes and they do work pretty well. Before that I used Tack Cloth. This is a wax covered cloth found in hardware stores. It is normally used when cleaning a surface for painting, especially after sanding. They work great for areas with a heavy coating of dust. Be careful not to repeatedly go over an area already clean with a Tack Cloth. You might leave a bit of the wax residue behind. I used Tack Cloth on equipment for years without any sticky build up using this method.
-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks