How to check grounding on a turntable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick White, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Nick White

Nick White Stunt Coordinator

I've been getting a very noticable electric-sounding hum while playing records on my Technics SL-5 turntable. After some research, I've found out that this is probably related to my grounding. Unfortunately, I don't know what grounding the turntable actually requires me doing. If someone could shed some light on this subject for me I'd appreciate it.

I'm currently using a Kenwood KR-A20 reciever, though I've tried other recievers with the same results.

2. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

On the turntable, there should be a black, single stranded, ground wire along with the two conductors with rca connectors on them. Hook the black ground wire to the signal ground on the receiver. Also if the TT has a non-polarized power cord, try flipping it over, ditto with the receiver.
    Tom

3. Nick White

Nick White Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply.

I don't see any ground wire, though I do see a hol next to the RCA connectors where one might belong. Is there a place I can buy ground wire? Would it be at pretty much any electronics store?

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Almost any wire can serve as a ground wire - as long as it's not too thick. Usually, ground wires are made from solid, very thin wire, like bell wire.

5. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

After grounding it, you may want to look for other sources of hum. Halogen lamps and and the TV cable are pretty common culprits.

-Mike...