What's new

How to change watch batteries? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Every once and a while I'll buy an assortment of old watches from Ebay and I'm sick of bringing them to the jeweler to install the batteries, since they charge so much.

My problem is not opening up the watch but how to determine which battery it takes. Is it possible? How do the jewelers do it?

Thanks,

Jeff

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
The battery model is stamped on the battery itself. You usually can also get that information from the manual if your watch came with one. For me, finding a store that sells those batteries is usually the problem.
I take my better watches to a jeweler because without the right tools, it is easy to scratch the back plate while trying to unscrew it. On the cheap Timex watch that I normally wear (hey it keeps time :)) they use standard screws so it's actually quite simple. Just be careful not to dislodge the O-ring so you don't lose its water resistance.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yes, the model should be stamped on the battery. I have a Radio Shack and a Batteries Plus nearby, so I don't have any problem finding the battery. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and maybe your grocery store will probably have them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks