What's new

How to carpet outside corners ? (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I need to carpet a riser(4'X6', 12" tall) and a step(6'X6" tall) and I need some advice. How do I tackle the outside corners? I'm thinking of using an indoor/outdoor carpet I saw at Home Depot. The room is already carpeted and the riser will just sit on top of carpet, with the step secured to riser. Does anyone have any photos showing the corner method, or know of any links? Thanks.

Jerry_C

Auditioning
I am going to be tackling the same task, let us know please how you decided to do it and what, if anything, you might do differently,

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jerry, I decided to go with the indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot and I'm glad I did. It's much thinner than standard carpeting and was pretty easy to work with(I got some advice from the flooring guy there). I used an adhesive he recommended on the top only, of riser and step. I built the riser and step with a 1.5" overhang, so I was able to carpet the top with 1 piece and wrap it under the overhang and staple it on the bottom of overhang. I then used a separate piece to do the sides of riser and step, stapling just at the top of side(where it meets the bottom of overhang). Using 2 pieces made it much easier, and I didn't have to deal with the outside corners. I had no seams on top, and no visible seams on sides because the carpeting comes in 12' widths. The only "outside corners" to deal with were on the top of overhang. My wife did those and I stapled underneath(She just folded it over itself and cut away excess material so it laid smoother). I DEFINITELY recommend you use a separate piece for the top and sides if possible. It makes it so much easier.

Jerry_C

Auditioning
ok, thanks a lot, I can see a trip to home depot in tomorrow's schedule, glad your's worked out well

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks