How to capture hi-res image from DVD?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I hope this falls within forum guidelines...

I would like to make some framed and matted pictures of scenes from my favorite DVD's to hang in my HT.

I have it all figured out except for how to capture a high resolution still image from a DVD. I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but, nothing came up on a search.

So: What is the best way to capture a high resolution image from a DVD source?

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

DVD player programs like PowerDVD can capture frames. Sometimes this option is disabled in the versions bundled with drives and computers. Also, you may need to disable hardware acceleration.

Such frames are usually scaled up; they have to be because DVD pixels are not square, while computer pixels are. For example, a 16:9 frame will be 960x540 (DVDs are natively 720x480).

That's about as high resolution as you will get from DVD, because that's all that's there. You can scale that up further, but it will all be interpolated.

//Ken

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Make sure you use a program like Paintshop pro to re-scale the distorted image back to its proper aspect ratio.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

At 8.5 x 11 you're looking at about 11x6 for a 1.77:1 image, and with 960 pixel max when stretched that would be about 90dpi, which is well below "print quality" resolution (which the standard is 300dpi, but minimal IMHO is 150dpi). Even if you reduced down to 10 inches wide, you're still only looking at 96dpi.

Some tricks I've seen people do to try to fake the quality:

- Print on Glossy paper, or even better- put it on a CD and go print it out on a photo station for digital photo at the local Walmart or Target (make sure no one is watching as it is technically a violation).

- Do a matted version with 2 or 3 film scenes in one frame. I have a friend who did 3 2.35:1 frames in a 8.5 x 11 frame - making them each about 7.75 inches wide- this gave more like 130dpi resolution, and on glossy paper your eyes were fooled from a reasonable distance. He mounted them in a frame with a cut matte for each of the 3 7.75 x 3.3 inch widescreen frames- and it looks pretty good (black matte, brushed silver frame).

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer