What's new

How to calibrate HD input with AVIA? (1 Viewer)

Neal_C

Second Unit
I have the Mits 46807 and have the Hughes E86 Titan HDTV receiver on the way (hopefully on Tuesday). How can I calibrate the HD input on the Mits with AVIA? Do I just hook my interlaced DVD player up to the HD input and calibrate it that way, before my receiver even gets here? Will that HD input on the Mits accept my dvd player?
Any explanation would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Neal

CRyan

Screenwriter
I know that the HD input will accept a progressive input from a DVD player. I am not sure whether or not it can take a 480i source. I would suspect that it can, but I do not know for certain. Something you will just have to try, unless someone here has actually read the manual or tried it themselves. :)
Either way, you can approximate it by simply "copying" all of your current settings from the DVD input onto your HD input. This will give you a very close approximation give or take a few notches. I did this first and barely had to change them when I hooked up my progressive player to that input.
The only thing is that your source component can have some effect on what the monitor displays, so everything here is a bit of an approximation.
C. Ryan
------------------
Project5.jpg

Neal_C

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply.
I will probably just do that, that seems easy enough..even easier than my idea :)
Thanks again,
Neal

Darold_Brins

Agent
Neal,
I don't know the Mits (I have a Toshiba), but tuning the HD input to the progressive scan DVD will not work (on the Toshiba). Since the input recognizes the signal as either 480p or 1080i, it uses different values. For example, on my TW56x81, when I hooked up my DST-3000 the convergence was off so I fixed it. I then popped in a DVD and my standard mode was screwed up and had to converged (my understanding is they use different values). I believe most ISF techs will use a machine (don't recall what it is called) that sends a HD signal to the TV and convert it that way. I recommend going to The Spot or Digital Theater and check those sites out as well.
Best of luck,
Darold "Brins" Brinley

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I have not tried this yet, but I saw it recommended at HomeTheaterSpot. Connect your DVD player to the S-video or composite input of a VCR. Then, you can use the RF out of the VCR to an antenna input on the STB you use. Then use the HD out of the STB to the TV. This will allow you to use the AVIA test disc's screens to adjust the HD input on your TV.
SMK

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I wouldn't get too anal about this. HDTV uses different standards than NTSC. I know the color of the phosphors is different, not sure about the black and white levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks