How to bypass the Crown K1 & K2 standby timeout.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Hoppe, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, this was a topic from quite a while ago.
    The Crown K series amps have a circuit that causes the amp to go into standby mode when the input is at a very low level for about 6 seconds. Unfortunately for HT users, this could mean that at background music level, the amp could go into standby. Annoying...
    You may or may not experience this phenomenon. It only happens to me when the amp is bridged because the input required from the system is less than an unbridged amp. In unbridged mode you need to feed it a hotter signal to get the same volume, therefore the standby never happens.
    Anyways, here's how you disable this feature...
    First, have a look at this photo. http://www.hoppehome.com/K2bypass.jpg
    (I've linked it rather than setting it as an image because it's rather large.)
    That's a picture of the input board. It is separate from the main circuitry and is hovering above the rest of the amp on standoffs.
    All you need to do is solder a little wire across those two points. There is text on the board that says "Signal Det Disable". Duh... that's what we want! I've drawn a lame white line where the jumper goes. You can use a tiny piece of wire for this. I'd suggest cutting a short piece of wire and temporarily taping it in place. Once you've soldered one end, remove the tape and do the other.
    IMPORTANT! Disconnect the two ribbon cables that go to the input board before attempting this! I made the mistake of not doing this and ruined the input board! My soldering iron slipped, I heard a little "pop!" and the board was toast. There is charge left in the unit even when it is not powered on. Disconnecting the ribbons should keep that from happening, but still be careful not to short anything while you're working.
    That's all there is to it!
    Standard disclaimer: If you screw up your amp, it's not my fault! This text is worth exactly what you paid for it. All characters in the story are purely fictional. Any similarities to actual persons - living or dead - is purely coincidental.

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Thanks for the info Chris!

3. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

One thing to add...
    Doing this mod causes the amp to be on all the time. After an hour or so, it becomes very warm, just as if you had been playing it that long. However, even if you crank it, it does not get much warmer than that.
    It will also take more idling current, which is probably not much anyways. Turn it off between uses if it concerns you.