How to build a backyard threater system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by lissie, Oct 27, 2001.

1. lissie

lissie Agent

I want to have the ability to show dvd movies outside .I'm sure a lot of you have done this. What's the best projector deal? What screen? What speakers? Thanks for any feedback!

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
  3. lissie

lissie Agent

Looks like a good time .How would I go about setting it up?What equipment did you use? Projector,screen, etc.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Scooter just hauls out his reciever, some decent speakers and a sub. Then he takes the projector out of his HT, wires the whole thing up and shoots it at his screen made out of canvas painted white. He can give you the nitty gritty, The Scoot Drive-In is amazingly fun [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    It's not really not all that complicated. The biggest thing was the screen...wooden frame with muslin pulled tight and stapled to the wood. I use the cheapest flat white paint I can find...appply 3-4 coats.
    As for gear...I bought a Kenwood reciever just for this as well as one power amp for the subwoofer and a second center channel speaker. I use industrial electrical wire for the speakers..and drag out some old DJ and spare speakers for the audio. Works great.

6. lissie

lissie Agent

Thanks for the feedback . Where did you buy your muslin? What Projector do you have? How powerful does my reciever have to be???I have a Technics SA-DX 1050(100w x 5)

7. wally

wally Second Unit

We have done a "Drive-Way Movie/Football" many times Here in St. Lou. This is a picture from Monday Night Football a few weeks back (Rams vs. Lions)
    http://www.spartanregiment.com/media...vewaymovie.jpg
    I drilled a hole in the family room wall to the garage and have cables that feed video and audio. Have an old pair of Cerwin Vegas and hook up a video projector from work. Flip the picture for rear projection and shoot the image on a queen sized bed sheet that is Duck Taped to the garage door and has a few 2x4s anchoring the bottom.
    Add a chili cook-off, and cold beer and you have an annual event!
    Good luck. Go Rams!

8. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    The muslim I did a Yahoo search and found a local theatrical supplier. The projector is the Sony 400Q, BEST HT dollar I ever spent!
    As for sound..depends on how loud you wanna be...and the type of speakers you use. Your reciever should do just fine.

9. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Let me add, from the perspective of someone who has attended the Scooterplex on several memorable occasions that his outdoor theater experience is exactly like the drive in theaters used to be in my youth (without the "sqauwky" speaker boxes hanging off the side window).
    His Sony 400Q does an amazing job. It's been discontinued for many years so you might have a hard time finding one. However, the successor (Sony VW10HT) which I own is an even better performer (I'm not knocking Scotter's 400Q - it does the job perfectly) and now that the 11HT is out may actually be available at some bargain pricing. I would suspect it's now getting close to under $4K or less (original list $7-8K).
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

10. lissie

lissie Agent

Thanks for all the feedback. Does anyone know about a LT 150 Projector. Any Speaker advice?

11. wally

wally Second Unit

Scooter,
    Where do you store your screen between shows?

12. Matt Krapf

Matt Krapf Stunt Coordinator

Wally,
    Scooter's screen s permanent, I believe. I've been there three times now, and it's seemingly in the same place, just repainted each season.
    It's 20 feet wide, 16x9. The 400Q, which I now want SO badly,
    projects onto it wonderfully from 30+ feet away.
    If you have kids, tease them with Playstation 1 or 2 on the BIG screen. I was playing a game(Tekken) outside after Scooter's last movie, and the characters we're BIGGER than lifesize!
    I'm also a convert to Scooter's way of thinking. A $7 gallon of paint can work as well an actual screen costing 3 or 4 figures.
    He can tell you more, if you ask.
    Regards,
    Matt

13. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    R.A.F. and Matt..thanks for the kind words!
    The screen is permanent. It's a wood frame attached to my fence..and folds in half when not being used. I replace the surface every season...mildew tends to grow inside when folded. I bought enough muslin for 11 seasons..so I have 8 more to go!
    ------------------
    "Hey mr. taliban, tally up me bombers...
    Daylight come, we blow up your home"

14. lissie

lissie Agent

Ok I've got all the equipment except the main one THE PROJECTOR ..... any other suggestions?????????? Also can I use 2 powered subs (Polk 450 and jbl 10") How do I hook them up? (I have a Technics 100 x 5 ..not much but that's all Ive got)

15. lissie

lissie Agent

Can anyone help me & instruct me how to connect 2 subwoofers? Thanks