What's new

How to build a $300-500 sound system (1 Viewer)

Russell Volz

Agent
I've been researching HT for about a week and have narrowed down my search to the Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector. I was thinking of going with a Home-Theater-In-A-Box system like I saw at Costco, but after reading about the Denon DVD-910, I think I'd rather put more money into a good DVD player like the 910. That leaves me with deciding on sound. I'd like to budget $300-500 for an entire sound system. Can I get something decent for that price? If so what? Keep in mind that the $250 Home-Theater-In-A-Box system that I saw at Costco blew me away! It sure beat my 1990 TV! My room is 12x14. I play a lot of DVDs, no TV, no cable, no dish. I very seldom play any music, but would like to. Thanks!

Russell

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
"That leaves me with deciding on sound. I'd like to budget $300-500 for an entire sound system. Can I get something decent for that price?"

if you did a bit of reading in the forum, you would see this really opens yourself up for a bit of debate...

if YOU can handle having a $300 "sound system", then go for it, they are all about equal. but if you cant, you just answered your own question. there isnt a $300 system out there that is just amazing and will beat anything under $1K. it just doesnt work like that...

its the same reason BMW, Audi and other are still in business even with competitors like Honda and Toyota... even 10% better for twice as much is still appealing.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Your going to spend lots of money on a projector and a screen for a home theater?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/part...m?part_id=2239
And the denon DVD is nice.
But
I think for movie sound you need more and will be disapointed with a HTIB.
Your setting youself up for big screen little sound :frowning:
And dont buy from Costco :frowning:

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Most of the people here would agree that the sound is half of the movie, if not more! Maybe you could do an RPTV instead and increase your budget for sound to twice that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks