How to "bridge" a stereo amplifier?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bert D, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

I have a 15 year old Akai stereo receiver that I may use to drive a SVS sub. It is a 100 watt per side with pre-outs, (I beleive this is what they are called ) they come out and goes back in the rear with Rca's so you can "split" the preamp from amp, I think. Or they may be just to add a external processor ? Can this be bridged to get 200 watt for the sub?

The reason I am entertaining this is that I ordered an Adire Rava, it was supposed to ship yesterday, but now is on backorder until mid January and I started to look into getting a SVS 20 or 25 unpowered and use this very nice and powerful Akai amp. Thanks.

2. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

Not knowing your amp, I can't tell you if it's bridgeable or not. Most amps that are bridgeable will have direction printed on it, or at least indicate that it is bridgeable.

Most of the time it involves either a jumper, or more commonly, connecting the + from one channel to the - of the other.

Sam

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Probably can't be bridged. Contact SVS about using the 2 channels to drive one of their subs. Perhaps there is a way.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Think about it, Bert: Why would any manufacturer make a stereo receiver bridgeable? So you can drive one of your speakers at double power. . . ?
    Actually, any amplifier can be bridged, if you drive the inputs out of phase. A bridgeable amp will have a switch that accomplishes this. Of course, If you’re handy with a soldering iron you can rig some custom connections to do it, but proceed at your own risk. Trying to bridge an amp that wasn’t designed for it is asking for disaster.
    Happy Holidays,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt