What's new

how to break in new speakers (1 Viewer)

Stephen DeMarco

Auditioning
I UNDERSTAND THAT FOR SPEAKERS TO SOUND THEIR BEST THEY NEED TIME TO BREAK IN. IS THERE ANY CD OR A CERTAIN TYPE OF MUSIC THAT WILL HELP WITH THIS? DOES IT NEED TO BE A PERTICULAR TYPE OF SOUND LIKE WHITE NOISE AND DO YOU HAVE TO VARY THE VOLUME LEVEL OR PLAY IT AT A CONSTANT LEVEL AND IF SO HOW LOUD? I WOULD LIKE TO BREAK THEM IN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, AND WOULD LIKE TO RUN THEM 24/7, BUT I DON'T WANT TO SLEEP WITH COTTON IN MY EARS TO DROUND OUT THE NOISE EITHER.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Stephen,

Most people here will tell you that it is not necessary to 'break in' speakers for them to sound better. Play them normally and enjoy.

PS - turn off your Caps Lock when posting, thanks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The very act of playing them will 'break them' in. However, it may take some time for you to get used to their sound in your particular room. Now, if for some reason you don't like them after a period of time, return them for your money back but don't wait so long that you've exceeded the grace period.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Play them, play them loud, play them alot.

Really as others indicated unless you have like a solid metal titanium tweeter or driver(s) break in period is or at leats should be minimal.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, my new Vienna Beethovens are supposed to sound better after 30 hrs break in period. I don't know how much better they are going to sound, but they sound pretty dang good right now!

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

I think break-in is a method of "Bonding" with your speakers. Typically it takes about 30 hours to become "accustomed" to how they sound.

I do believe that it takes a few minutes for the suspension to loosen up. . . I guess you could call that break-in.

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
what i do is this. I grab a CD with test tones and music, some sheffield CD. I play it and have the CD repeat. The i grab the speakers and face them face to face. really close to each other. Then i cover them up with thick, thick blankets. A couple if you have them. I then turn them up to a point where they are loud but not damaging. I then go to work. After a week of that, they should be broken in. With the few different sets of speakers i have owned, there really is a difference in sound from new and broken in. I just bought some Tannoys DC3's and i borrowed them from the store that were broken in already till my new ones came in. I wish i could bring the store demos back home. HUGE difference.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
What he said. Just play 'em. The mechanical parts inside them will loosen up sufficiently with just playing.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

I have done this but use either pink noise or inter station hiss with an output of about 1 watt. Plus one weekend is enough to get started. Paradigm used to recomend this but I always thought it was a ploy to get you used to your speakers so you would not return them for a refund. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks