How to bi-wire 12ga speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom_furman, Aug 7, 2001.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

my new speakers are coming in tomorrow and i wanna be all ready for 'em [​IMG]
    i use 12ga speaker wire and would like to bi-wire my new speakers. now i currently use RS banana plugs for my one wire and love them but there's no way in hell 2 wires will fit. nor will two bare wires fit in the binding posts (i don't think)
    so what are my options?
    will using one banana plug for 1 wire, and then shoving bare wire into the binding post work? or will there be a delay or something?
    what do you guys do?

2. John H

John H Second Unit

3. tom_furman

"Head next to the back of your amplifier or receiver. If it is equipped with the traditional five-way binding posts, the next step should pose no significant problem. The idea is to hook both sets of speaker cables to only one set of corresponding terminals on the back of the amp. This means that both of the positive ends for the two right sets of cables are connected to the single plus terminal of the right speaker output and both of the negative ends from the two right sets of cables are connected to the single minus terminal of the right speaker output. Do exactly the same for the left channel with the other two sets of loudspeaker cables and we’re ready for the next step."
    thanks but..thats all that article said..i know HOW to bi-wire (meaning two wires to each post) but i dont know to make them fit without going to a smaller gauge wire

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

5. Dave K

Dave K Extra

You might want to get a set of banana plugs that can handle 2 12ga wires. I use Vampire Wire (www.vampirewire.com) single and double bananas (model SB and DB) with bi-wired 12ga wire. Very good quality. The SB model feels like a solid chunk of gold, and you can daisy chain them if you want (i.e., plug a banana into a banana).

6. Jamie Colquhoun

Jamie Colquhoun Auditioning

I had the same problem when i bi-wired my studio 40s, this is what i did, i cut some strands from each wire until they both fit into the binding post. I know this will affect the gauge of the wire coming from the receiver so maybe using one banana and one spade would be the way to go. what do you think?.

7. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    From an electrical stand point, bi-wiring will have the same effect as just wiring your speakers. If you just wire you speakers, you will not have to worry how to connect them.
    Now, bi-amping is a different story.

8. tom_furman

thanks guys...i'll try it with spade connectors to see if i notice any difference..if i do and i like the results i may go with the banana plug as a "finished" connection.
    i figure its worth a few bucks to see if i notice a difference..even if it's small

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Unless you have super-long runs from amp to speakers, 12 gauge wire can be over-kill. Have you considered how thick the leads the crossover components (capacitors/inductors/resistors) are? Pretty darn thin. Using the metal straps in a conventional 2-input terminal cup is fine for getting the power from the speaker wire to the speaker itself without the need of bi-wiring.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

10. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

What I do is to get stackable banana plugs. This is how I biwire my set.

11. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator