How To Best Play 24/96 CDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roberto Carlo, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I just got some ECM CDs re-mastered in 24/96 sound. What's the best way to play them? My receiver has 24/96 DACs. Should I just feed it a digital signal from my CD player? Or do I have to use my DVD player whose set-up menu specifically mentions a 24/96 signal? If that's the case, do I have to use the analog outputs or can I use the coax digital? Thanks.

2. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

First check to see that the actual format on your CD is 24/96. A lot of CD's are re-mastered in 24/96 or DSD and then put burned on disk in 16/44 format.

If they are really 24/96 on the disk, please supply us with the titles.

rw

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    If they're CDs, then they're 16-bit 44.1kHz. Only DVDs contain 24-bit 96kHz material. If they're CDs, then play them as you would any other conventional CD. If they're DVDs sets your DVD player's digital output to 24-bit 96kHz and use your amplifier to process them via a standard digital input (optical or RCA). Alternatively, you could use the DVD player's stereo analogue outputs.

Adam

4. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Thanks for the replies. The CD in question, Bill Frisell's "Selected Recordings," part of ECM's :rarum series, says that it has been "Remastered to 24-bit/96 khz format." Whatever that means.

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Roberto,

I'm not familiar with that particular recording, but it sounds like they took analog masters, and sampled that @ 24bit/96K, then did a down convert to deliver them as a CD.

That's just a guess though.

Regards,

6. Brad Van Eerden

Also, when/if you get a 24/96 DVD you'll need to check and make sure that your DVD player will send the digital signal out at full resolution.

The Toshiba SD-9200, for instance, down converts the digital out and so the only way to hear the higher resolution is through the internal D/As. Sometimes you must use the DVD player's analog 2-channel output.

7. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mastering or remastering at 24/96 and then downsampling to 16/44.1 is very common practice these days. Many reissues make mention of remastering being done at 24/96. Warner's remastered CDs of the The Doors are an example. In addition, many Chesky CDs have a 24/96 logo on the packaging. I can see how this could be misleading, but as long as it's a CD, it's 16/44.1.