What's new

How to be able to get 7.1 TrueHD on 6.1 (1 Viewer)

lechatsportiff

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Sanchez
Hi,

I just got an Onkyo 606 on a 6.1 speaker setup, but since I don´t have 7.1 setup, I cannot get TrueHD. I´m wondering if I can connect the single rear surround speaker to both rear surround terminals on the receiver.

Onkyo manual states that if you have a 6.1 setup to connect the rear surround speaker to the left rear surround terminal, but I want to be able to get TrueHD connecting both terminal output to a single speaker.

I have Spherex onmipolar speakers rated at 6ohm.

Tks for the help.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Why can't you get TrueHD?
What about all the people that get TrueHD, that just have 5.1 systems?

I don't have blu ray yet, but I regularly look at the backs of blue ray movie cases, to see what movies, have what soundtracks. Most of the movies, whether TrueHD or dtsHD MA, are 5.1 surround. Not many 7.1 movies yet, though they are coming out with more all the time.

Buy another speaker, if you're that worried about 7.1 surround. If you can't find another like you have, buy a pair and use them for the back surrounds. Ideally all the speakers should match, but it's not as critical, especially for the back surrounds. Being 6 ohm speakers, it sounds like they came from an HTIB?

lechatsportiff

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis Sanchez
From what I understand, when using a 6.1 setup on an Onkyo 606 the receiver doesn't do TrueHD, only 7.1 and/or 5.1 get it, so I prefer to "emulate" a 7.1 on 6.1 connecting a single rear surround speaker to both terminals on the receiver, but I don't know if by doing this I'll screw up the receiver or the speaker.

Buying an extra speaker is out of the question, can't stand another remodeling !! don't like to see wires around.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of titles that are encoded in TrueHD, 5.1 (and do not have 7.1). TrueHD is a lossless coding scheme that has nothing to do with 7.1, 5.1, 3.1, or 2.0.

As Ed mentions there are not too many 7.1 movies.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

You say you are not getting TrueHD. How do you know this? Are you certain you have the setup correct in your Blu-Ray or HDDVD? What player do are you using?

Do not connect the single speaker to both backs. No need to. When viewing TrueHD (or DTS HD and PCM) movies that are 5.1, you will use only the 5.1 speakers (unless you use one listening modes). When you get a 7.1 soundtrack, it will play fine as 6.1.

There should be a big, really confusing chart in your manual the explains everything.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

BTW - The listening modes are not 'emulating' anything. They are a way to expand 5.1 to use your 6.1 setup (Dolby EX) or make the sound play by certain rules (the THX modes).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Dude, the user manual is your best friend! I went to Onkyo's website and downloaded the manual just because I was curious. Do NOT connect one speaker to two terminals. It warns you against this on page 16.

Page 15 says: "If you're using only one surround back speaker, connect it to the SURR BACK L terminals."

Page 73 step 9 says: "Select 'SURR BACK CH' 2ch: select if two (left and right) surround back speaker are connected. 1ch: select it one surround back speaker is connected."

You will get Dolby True HD and the receiver will properly downmix the two surround back channels into one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks