What's new

How to audition a sub? (1 Viewer)

itai

Stunt Coordinator
hi all
my next upgrade is the subwoofer. currently using an "audio-pro" sub evidence, which is a 100watt, 8 inch speaker that did his duties for the last two years, and now will retire to enjoy the rest of his life at my parents living room, where my ma can clean it from dust every other day!...
http://www.audiopro.com/products/sub_evidence.htm
my system consists of a denon 3802, paradigm 60v2's, cc center and adp's. room is 16x16.
had no problem auditioning those, but to tell the truth, i havnt got a clue as to what to look for in a sub!...(bought this one in 2 minutes...dealer recommended)
can you give me some pointers, what to do stuff, demo material and such?
btw, though my current sub is small, it can shake the apartment prety well, windows ratle and everthing.
do i need an upgrade? (please say yes!)
:b

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well first thing you need to find out how the room is affecting the sub. If there are some major nulls and peaks this will severally affect how the sub sounds. This isn't something easy to do in most show rooms. Easier to do if you can get an in home demo. But in both it can be hard to correct (placement, EQ and room treatments).

Then it's pretty much like any other speaker.

How does the bass sound to you. Is the bass defined and clean, do the bass lines sound like what you think they are supposed to (a drum sounds like a drum etc). If it does, then it should keep you happy.

Next is output. Can the sub play as low and loudly as you need/want it to cleanly.

Finally, asthetics. Does the sub's appearance and size meet your needs/wants.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Itai says: "nobody knows how to audition a sub??

I guess you can audition a sub like you would audition any other speaker. Take material you are familiar with and listen to it at the levels that you would listen to at home.

The big difference between subs and other speakers is the enormous interaction with the room and although this is true of regular speakers it becomes paramount in a sub.

Also although you can audition 2 pairs of speakers that are not, obviously, in the same physical space with minimal effects, auditioning subs that are not IDENTICALLY placed could be worthless.

The subs also need to be level matched to the main speakers.

There are a few general guidelines that can help you find the "right sub":

1- Get the dealer to agree to exchange or refund if the sub does not perform to your expectations in your listening environment.

2- Search this and other forums for "happy customers" of a particular brand and model of sub.

3- Discuss with someone knowledgeable you placement options. I cannot emphasize enough how placement of a sub will affect its SPL, smoothness and blending with your speakers in any given room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks