How to Arrange Icons by Date in Windows XP MP3 Folder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Does anyone know if there is a way to arrange the icons by date in Windows XP? For some reason when I go to the folder that contains my MP3 files, I do not have an option to arrage them by date (I like to have my newest files at the bottom of the page). Previous versions of Windows had this feature and I can't believe that it was overlooked on XP! Very annoying! Thanks in advance!

Brandon Smith

2. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Well, if I understand you correctly, try this:
    Right-click in the window that contains the Icons (not *on* an Icon, but in a blank space) Choose "Arrange icons->" then the 4th option down from that should sort by date.
    If you mean that you actually don't have the columns at the top of your window that you want, try this:
    Right-click on one of the columns and you should see a list of items that are available for "columns" choose more at the bottom and then check the ones you want. After that, you just have to single (left) click on one of the columns.
    Hope this was of some help!
    ~Rob

3. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Rob,

The strange thing is that Windows XP seems to view the folder that my MP3s are stored in differently than it views other folders. For example, another folder that contains an exe file will allow me to arrange icons by the date they were modified. But for some reason this is not an option in the folder that contains MP3s. Maybe I will try to move some other types of files into the folder and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for the reply!

Brandon Smith

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Yeah, XP has special formats for music folders. However all the info you need is still there, just not visibile.

In Explorer, goto your music folder and make certain you have the details view on, then right click on the bar that has the title, artist, etc, and you should see a menu of all the other options. Date modified, date created should be there, but unchecked. Check them and voila, you are fixed.

Incidentally, you can make other folders into music folders as well using the same process.

5. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Wow! Thanks Danny! That did the trick!

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Oh man I HATE that little feature. It sounds great but it never saves (for me anyway). I always set it as search by name and created, but I come back the next day and it's the same old options again. [​IMG] I mean who searches by song year anyway??? Sorry for the rant. :b