How to actually get phase "right"?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen.S, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Allen.S

Allen.S Extra

Sep 28, 2004
    In anticipation of receiving my PB10, I notice that I'll now get a 180 degree phase dial, and not just the two-position switch on my sony. In the past, I 've used Avia to try to set the Phase on this, and basically, my wife and I just "agree" which setting seems to be better. Neither of us can experience the effects Avia is describing in the help text.

It seems that in one setting, the lows and highsare a bit more distinct, so we use that setting.

Is there a better way? Expecially since I'll now have many more options on the dial?
  2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Jul 8, 1998
    If you know what crossover setting you are using between the mains and the sub, I would suggest running a test tone at that exact frequency and then dialing the phase knob for maximum output, then hear how that sounds.

I do not recall what range of frequencies Avia covers, but its possible that if your crossover were significantly higher or lower than what Avia assumes, it may not produce a 100% accurate result.

It is also possible that your room may have a boost at or near the crossover point. As such, setting the sub to an out of phase position may actually create a cancellation that results in a flatter response.

But at the end of the day, its your ears that are the final judge, right?

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Feb 21, 2004
    i've also seen the recommendation to flip the polarity on both your front speakers. then, using the phase knob and a tone near the crossover, adjust the output to be the WEAKEST. this will be the point where it is most out-of-phase. now, flip the front speakers' polarity back to "normal" and you're at the point where everything should be optimally in-phase.

supposedly it's easier to find this maximally out-of-phase setting than it is to find the optimal in-phase setting.