What's new

How times have changed (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
This so reminds me of the famous quote by Douglas Adams:

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

A LOT of people think according to number 3. Fortunately, I'm not one of them.

Except about colorization.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm a year into having a QNAP nas as a HTPC, and I love it too pieces. I'm thinking of ripping my DVDs to put on there, just to cut down on physical space. I still don't trust streaming platforms to be reliable as far as selection goes, I like owning stuff. physical disc or digital download (backed up of course) and I'm happy.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Computerized colorization began in the 1970s, long before I was 35.

Then you accept it as #1: normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works. or #2: "new and exciting and revolutionary." ?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Then you accept it as #1: normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works. or #2: "new and exciting and revolutionary." ?
Wrong.

1. It wasn't around when I was born.

2. "New and exciting and revolutionary" isn't always good or acceptable. A certain event that happened in 1917 fits that description.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
The Video Stores all closed in my neighborhood. I used to rent blurays and if it was a keeper I'd rip it with Anydvd.
Now that streaming is so popular I barely used the HTPC anymore.
Fast forward to today and I just upgraded my projector. The Black levels are beautiful on the screen so now I'm reviewing my bluray collection again. Long live 35 GB files again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks