What's new

How The West Was Won... (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
How the West Was Won is in my top 10 Desert Island choices.
What I wouldn't give to have a decent DVD with an Anamorphic Picture and the Original Soundtrack restored to it's former glory.
The last sound remaster was a travesty and an insult to the memory of the late, great Alfred Newman.

I'm sure that with today's technolgy the lines can be made less obvious.

For those of us unable to re-live the unforgettable Cinerama experience, a quality Video transfer is all we have left to hope for.

I pray that Warners will give HTWWW serious consideration.
It is a Classic and deserves Classic treatment.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope WB does release a SE of " How the West Was Won". Letterboxed and also Smileboxed. The effect of Smilebox in "Cinerama Adventure" really gave a good effect of the Cinerama feeling. (Yes Cinerama Adeventure as a special feature!)
I have seen HTWWW in the last 2 years at both the Seattle Cinerama and the Cinerama Dome in LA. The depth of the Seattle screen was amazing and much more "engulfing" than at the Dome.
Please WB a 2 disc SE of "How the West Was Won"!!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
OK, I'll "experience the film by closing my eyes & just listening to the soundtrack. :D :D

Hopefully it will restored to splendor it deserves.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Ken:

The Cinerama Dome in Hollywood has a below spec Cinerama Screen. The curvature is 120 degrees and it is a solid non-reflective screen. The Seattle Cinerama has a proper screen with a curvature of 146 degrees. It is also louvered which adds to the 3 dimensional effect. It does make a difference in the overall effect. The Dome screen does "flatten out" the left and right panels somewhat. Sitting up close does help a bit.

Jim:

How are you gonna get the wrap around effect on a television? High Def or not? (Smilebox is only a simulation, not the real thing).
Peter

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, I know I can not have the wrap-a-round effect but I was hoping that 3 35mm frames width of info would be better suited to the highest resolution we have.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Yes the Dome did not have as much of a curve.
In Seattle I sat in the "X" spot on the floor which was where it was placed to point out the best spot for optimum viewing for Cinerama. In Seattle I think that was second row center.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Ken,

I was told that there is more screen available on either side at the Dome but the outer projectors cannot throw the picture that far to the left and right because of their positioning in the booth.
You sat at the "sweet" spot. I was about 4 rows back center for HTWWW and TIC at the Dome. Also, neither theatre uses the back speaker for pan effects as that would have to be done manually from a sound board.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Thanks for the info!
I sure do hope that we get a SE of HTWWW on DVD soon, though nothing can compare to the theatrical Cinerama experience!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I picked this western "epic" up last night at Wal-Mart and noticed a curious thing. On playback, although the film is letterboxed, the picture appears to have 3 separate frames stitched together to form one panoramic scene. The case mentiones that the film is letterboxed to preserve the "scope" aspect ratio of the original 35mm theatrical exhibition. I wonder if anyone has an explanation for the three separate frames that comprise the film.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
the restored print played here in seattle a year or two ago;
wonder when we'll see the DVD?

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
It's also playing in Bradford, England on March 12th. I wonder if it will ever come back to New York, the birthplace of Cinerama? I'll settle for a restored DVD, though.

Ken New

Agent
This was produced in Cinerama a system that, from its invention in the early 50s round to 1963, was filmed on three synchronised cameras, projected with three synchronised projectors onto three screens which, although joined, still had visible lines. All this was necessary to produce a deeply curved, panoramic image with an aspect ration of 2.59:1.

Cinerama productions until 1962 were basically travelogues. When they joined MGM to produce narrative movies ('The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm' and then 'How the West Was Won') and effort was made to eliminate the two physical joins between the three screens but, as you're finding Chuck, they didn't entirely succeed.

HTWWW was the last film made in the three-strip process. In 1963 Cinerama announced with great fanfare that its latest production, 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' was presented in a 'revolutionary' single lens Cinerama process. In fact, it was a standard 70mm process which made economic sense as their productions could now receive a standard release instead of being restricted a few cinemas specially fitted with the three-screen process.

Somehow, though, the disappearance of the joins signified the end of Cinerama's special magic. HTWWW was re-released around cinemas in what was pretty much a standard Cinemascope, 2.35:1, which is about what you get on the DVD. I wonder if they'll go for 2.59:1 if they ever produce a special edition.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
People have been waiting for a "proper" DVD for ages.

The disc uses the old (and I mean OLD) LaserDisc transfer. The sound is merely DD 2.0. Cinerama also had multitrack surround sound.

Awhile back (late 90's), someone did a test at a 2.6 ratio and posted a screen capture. It looked GREAT. Sadly, Warner seems to have forgotten this title, neglecting its 40th Anniversary a couple years back.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I find out about this from a HTF member in New Jersey? :D Thanks for the heads up; it's not the greatest western ever made (Ford's sequence is easily the best), but it's one of the biggest spectacles, with a superb Alfred Newman score.

C'mon Warners; let's have another go at this!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
No offense, but its constantly repeated that the current dvd is the old laserdisc transfer. This is certainly not true. The dvd is far sharper and better color. Better sound too all the way through.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies and the link to the explanation guys. I first saw this movie when I was 9 or 10 years old at a good ol' fashined theater with balconies and a "cry room" when it first came out. It has always been one of my favorites. I just wish the transfer was a bit better on DVD.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks