What's new

How The West Was Won, Errol Flynn, Warner Westerns - 26/08/08 (1 Viewer)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
And after they only sold a couple of thousand BR copies they'd can that idea for the next 2 years and we'd all be hung out to dry on marquee classics. :rolleyes

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Do you honestly think they would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars preserving the film to digital, then decide not to release it on a format that has an install base of about 750 million players world wide?

I wonder what Time-Warner's share holders would think if they did that...

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

No offence Patrick, but that is ridiculous.

At the moment, I get by with a crappy old telly from Kmart, and a cheap-arse DVD player. I can't afford to upgrade to HD anything at the moment. To make the most of the experience, it would mean having to purchase a new home theatre arrangement.

Although I work full time, I still have to sacrifice to purchase SD as it is- which I don't mind doing because I love my films.

Nice for some who can afford it, but for others who simply don't have the money, or are still making up their minds about upgrading, it is a a little far fetched. Why should we miss out just because we can't afford to upgrade. The company is still getting our money - just on SD instead of BR.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm not saying that they shouldn't put out the SD version, but it just seems like a title worth waiting for. This isn't meant to sound elitist. I'm still using a 20" CRT, Wal-Mart 5.1 system, and SD-only (not even a computer drive). But I'm already holding off on a lot of titles out of anticipation for the BluRay editions. I'd love to go ahead and get the SD release, but I'd rather wait until I can see it in 1080p.

However, I didn't notice that the regular SD edition is going for so cheap, so disregard.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

I don't think those images represent a final grading of the colour. I mean they are mainly designed to demonstrate how the seems have been removed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,
There is a 25% off code you could use at WHV and it's the type of a code you can use multiple times and if your order is over $50, you get free shipping. You will get charge a sales tax.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately according to the artwork, it looks like "Silver City" is not part of this boxset which really doesn't make sense for me. It's not a huge title and fits in nicely here making the boxset five western titles.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

The 2 year old announcement from HP was a bit premature....

Word is that HP did not ultimately participate in this process, hence the official WHV press release makes no mention of HP.

Therefore, these old screen caps (which I doubt anyone involved at that time thought would be scrutinized for color-correction) have no relevance to the upcoming product.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
This makes sense. Warner devised Ultra Resolution, including the modified version used for The Searchers. So I can't see how they couldn't figure out how to stick together three images to make one.

I just hope they have done it at 4K or 6K so they can convert it to IMAX DMR in the future.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

I too am puzzled as to why they didn't include Silver River. When I first heard they were releasing an Errol Flynn western set I even thought they might do all six of the offically unreleased Flynn westerns including both Silver River and Santa Fe Trail which has been in PD hell for a long time. It's slightly disappointing we didn't get at least five, however the four they are including are all excellent choices and even with the omission of Silver River this looks to me like the best set that Warners has announced for release so far this year.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Not to take away from the good news surrounding the release of the Flynn set but including Sante Fe Trail would have been a nice touch. Although worthless as history it, in my opinion, has a great cast and has high entertainment value.

It is is one of those films, along with This is The Army (to be released later this year) that has been begging to be rescued from PD status for a long time.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I worry that many companies don't bother issuing official releases of public domain films because they think consumers will just buy the cheaper PD releases, because they don't understand that an official release will offer better quality.

In some ways you can't blame them...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I don't disagree with you. My thought was that a box set like this would be the best way to release a PD film since, as you indicated, a standalone release would likely not fare well. If memory serves, WHV did something similar with one of the PD musicals.

Even if they did not do a full blown restoration, WHV could still put out a decent DVD of Sante Fe Trail by virtue of their ownership of the best surviving elements.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Actually two: "Till the Clouds Roll By" was part of the Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Vol. 1, and "Royal Wedding" was part of CMFTDF Vol. 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks