What's new

how the heck do i use vcr+ (i'm manual deficient) (1 Viewer)

James Sybert

Auditioning
my girlfriend's sony slv n71 vcr has vcr+ on it. and we don't have the manual.

i believe there is some sort of setup involved with it, but i can't determine what it's asking me to do.

it's accepting the number i put in, recording for the correct length of time and at the right time, but it's recording the wrong channel.

what am i missing here??

james.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
It's been a LONG time since I used VCR+, but there is a setup procedure you have to go through. You have to "tell" VCR+ what channel number your (cable?) system uses for each channel. For example, NBC might be Ch 5 on one system and Ch 2 on another. VCR+ may also have listings for channels that are not carried in your area. Once that setup is done, you just enter the code for each program you want to record.

Without knowing the specifics of your VCR, I would guess that VCR+ setup is one of the menu options. You just go through, channel by channel, and tell it what channel that is on your cable system. NBC 5, Lifetime 38, etc.

Good luck!

Steve K.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
I have the same VCR, but unfortunately, I don't have an online manual for you.. nor could I find one. It seems Sony has moved past this model to the SLV-N77 and 9x models so its not even on their site any more.. However, the exact same VCR the N51 which basically just utilizes a smaller case is still on their site.. Once again.. no documentation..
However, found this awhile back.. May not apply to everything, but good description of vcr plus and plus gold.
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/technotes.html
hope this helps

James Sybert

Auditioning
ok, great replies. thanks. i've seen the setup menu, but had no idea what to put in there.

i did finally find some of the station codes at tvguide.com (although some aren't correct anymore). i just have to figure out what format to put them in.

thanks again, both replies were a huge help!

james.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Somewhere in your VCR's menus there is an option to map the "VCR+"'s channel number to the corresponding channel number on your cable system. For example, say a movie is on "WXYZ" channel 12, but WXYZ is on channel 32 on your cable system. The VCR needs to know that when VCR+ calls for channel 12, it really needs to tune in 32.

You'll have to go in there and set up this mapping, using the table provided in your TV Guide or your cable company's channel list.

On my JVC 3800, if I use VCR+ to record on a channel I've never recorded on before, it'll ask me what the channel number is, and then it remembers it from then on.

KJP

John Salley

Auditioning
Dunno if this helps, but I found it here:
Link Removed
If link does not work, this is what it said:
Description:
How To Setup VCR+?
Solution:
The VCR+ can be setup automatically if the VCR has the channel mapping option, otherwise, the VCR must be setup manually.
Please follow the instructions below to setup VCR+ manually.
1. Open the VCR's Menu.
A. Power on the VCR.
B. Confirm that the TV is on the proper output channel (3,4) or Video Input.
C. Confirm that the TV/Video switch on the remote control is set to Video.
D. On the Remote Control, press the TV/Video button.
E. On the Remote Control, press the Menu button.
NOTE: If the menu still does not appear, please continue with the steps (1) - (4). Otherwise, skip to Step 2.
(1) Insert a pre-recorded tape into the VCR.
(2) Press the Play button, to confirm playback and connections are correct.
NOTE: If the playback is distorted or does not occur, double-check connections and repeat steps 1-5.
(3) Press the Stop button.
(4) On the Remote Control, press the Menu button again.
2. From the Menu, select the VCR+ channels.
3. When the VCR+ Channel Menu is active, follow the instructions displayed on the TV screen.
Lotsa luck,
John Salley

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks