How the heck did I have my vcr set-up??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom_furman, Aug 19, 2001.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

*warning* this is gonna sound really dumb
    ok..my old vcr died and i had to replace it (i shunned spending any money on a vcr but the gf still rents vhs tapes, and has me tape tv shows, etc).
    so i unplugged the cable tv cable, and then ubplugged the rca cables(i also bought better cables to use)
    anywho...i get my new vcr and plug in the cable tv cables and that works fine (i can watch tv with no problems) so i'm sitting here with my new rca cables and i TOTALLY FORGOT how i had my vcr hooked up!
    all i know is that before i could just push play and watch a tape using my tv speakers, and then if i wanted it in pro-logic i could turn on my receiver and whammo...i'd was watch the tape using my stereo speakers.
    how did i have it hooked up?? any ideas? i only had the 3 rca cables (red, yellow, white) coming out of the back of the vcr and going to lord knows what...i tried every combination possible and nothing works..help!

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

You remind me of me - and that's scary. Ok, my best guess is that the two audio cables (red & white) went from the output of the vcr and into the input of your receiver. I guess the VCR terminals. Have fun.
    Glenn

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Tom,
    Try sending your rca cables to the receiver and also send a coax cable to your TV. This may not be how you had it, but it will certainly work. Besides that, the only scenario I can think of that can do what you want would be to send all three cables into your TV and then audio out from your TV (if it has it) to your receiver. If I think of anything else, I'll let ya know.
    Dan Hine

4. tom_furman

ok..after sitting down on the ground in a pool of my own tears here's what i've noticed...
    my tv (old model) had 2 sets of rca inputs (ext1, and ext2), 1 s-vid input (being use by my dvd player), and one set of rca outputs.
    so i can only use rca cables now because my only s-vid is used.
    and here's what i'd like to do now:
    be able to watch tv like normal, and when i want it in surround to simply pop on my receiver and turn it to "tv/sat"
    hit play on my vcr and be able to watch it with my tv speakers, and when i want it in surround to be able to turn on my receiver
    i have a sony db-840 so there's no shortage of input/outputs on it.
    is that too much to ask??? lol...i swear i had it set up this way...but i didnt label things before i started unpluggin'...
    LET THIS BE A LESSON TO EVERYONE..LABEL THOSE CABLES

5. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

Just a couple of quick questions? In your old setup could your tv's remote control change the volume when you were listening through the receiver? Also did you have to switch inputs on the tv to watch dvd or vcr?

6. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

I'll give this a try . . .
    Run a coax cable from the VCR to the "Antenna IN" coax input of the TV. (This will give you standard sound and video from the VCR to the TV speakers.)
    Run a set of RCA audio outputs from the VCR to the receiver's "VCR input". (This will give you stereo sound to listen through your receiver.)
    Run your video RCA cable from the VCR either through your receiver to the TV, or direct from the VCR to the TV's "Ext-1" video input. (This will give you the video signal from the VCR to the TV on that Ext-1.)
    With this set-up, you can listen to the TV speakers while watching a VHS tape (audio and video signals flowing through the coax cable connection, while setting your TV to antenna channel 3 or 4, with "VCR ON" mode from the VCR.) When you want sound from your receiver, just switch by remote to "Ext-1" and view the video from the VCR, and have the receiver set to "VCR" to listen to the sound from the RCA connection from the VCR to the receiver.
    Uhhh . . . at least I think that's right!

7. tom_furman

ok...here's what i did...
    went video out from the vdr direct to the tv, and then ran the audio out from the vcr to the receiver and then out of the receiver to the tv.
    i can now watch tv and a tape in surround, but it wont let me watch a tape using my tvs speakers!
    this is sukekekeke...i hate electronics! grrr

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Tom,
    Thomas and I have both given you a scenario that will work.
    So do this and you should be fine. Send the Yellow/Red/White RCA cables to your TV. That will allow you to watch a VHS tape through your TV speakers. Now, since you have audio outputs on you television, take 2 RCA cables from those outputs and into your receiver.
    I see no reason why this won't work. Best of luck.
    Dan Hine

9. tom_furman

thanks..thats what i didnt try...
    to send all the rca from the vcr to the tv, then back out to the receiver.
    i'll give it a whirl when i get home from work!
    and then after that (if it works) i'm gonna label every damn cable back there!

10. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Dan is right. By running the audio out from the TV to the receiver, your receiver when set to the TV input will play whatever input you're watching on the TV. The only question I would have is did you have this type of audio hookup before? If you didn't, then I can't think of how you would have been able to do all that you say you did before you changed VCRs. One last thing is that even with Dan's setup, you still need to connect a coax cable to your TV. One thing that you might do, though, is use a splitter to do this. Since you will be watching the VCR on one of the video inputs, you don't need to be able to watch the VCR via the coax. I find it very annoying when I push play on the VCR and it automatically turns the TVs antenna input to the VCR output. If you're not on channel 3, you get a lot of noise and static.
    SMK

11. tom_furman

"The only question I would have is did you have this type of audio hookup before?"
    if i knew that i wouldnt have to ask you guys [​IMG] i was so anxious to get my new vcr/cables in and clean up the room that i didnt even notice how i had it setup when i unplugged everything! doh! so when i got ready to hook everything back up i was mortified that i couldnt remember. so lemme get this right..here's my updated battleplan...
    run the cable tv from the wall, into the vcr, and back out to the tv.
    run the video and audio out of the vcr and into the tv
    and finally run the audio back out of the tv and into the receiver?
    btw i see yer from pawtucket...i was just there last week to catch a pawsox game!
    [Edited last by tom_furman on August 20, 2001 at 08:46 AM]

12. Gregg_C

Gregg_C Extra

I'll tell you what I did for cable connections. It may or may not work for you.
    I got all of my manuals for my DVD, receiver, vcr, tv, cd player, and tape, and put them in front of me. My goal was to use my receiver to switch everything for simplicity (my family is HT-challenged). I did a diagram in PowerPoint (you could draw one too, if computer-challenged) detailing my components and all of my connections. I used the tv simply as a monitor (1 s-video cable, no component, drat!). I drew all of the other connections to the receiver from the various components. I went to Worst Buy and got my AR s-video and digital cables, and Home Depot for my 12-gauge speaker wire. I then labeled each cable with a number, and made the same number on the diagram. It's important to label the cables before making the connection, so that you don't absorb the dust and grime in your lungs while reaching behind your entertainment furniture, and giving yourself a hernia in the process. I connected everything up, and viola, it worked! One glitch was that with a connection from the s-video on the tv, it shuts off the connection to the RCA video. Simple fix for the vcr was the 20 dollar Radio Shack RCA to S-Video connectors, and that worked too.
    I also came to realize that the manuals vary in readibility and simplicity, and had to read between the lines more than once. Overall, however, it was easy once I had the diagram.
    Gregg

13. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

What Gregg has described works if you have an AV receiver that can do switching, and you want it to do your switching. With only one component, the VCR, using the receiver for switching doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense. The latest plan you have laid out, Tom, is what you want for the things you want to do.
    I still think it makes sense to use a splitter for the coax antenna (or cable), but that is just my own preference.
    SMK

14. tom_furman

argh!! i got home and ran the audio/video out of the vcr right into the receiver....hit play and whammo..the picture shows up fine and i can use my tvs speakers to listen.
    then i run the audio out of my tv into my reveiver (the TV/SAT part)...turn it on and NO SOUND!! i made doubly sure that my receiver was swtiched to TV/SAT but still no sound. on either the tape or regular tv.
    whats up with that?? if i dont find a solution soon i'll just hav to go back to the way i had it last night and give up on watching my vcr with my tvs speakers (if i never need to)

15. tom_furman

*update*
    one thing i used to be able to do and can not now is: to hit the tv/vcr button on my vcr remote and using the channel up/down on my vcr remote to have the channels on my tv change (while in surround)
    how did i do that?
    now i have to put my vcr on channel 50 (to get the audio), and then put my tv on channel 50 to get the picture!
    thanks for all your patience...i'm truly not this dumb..i think my equipment is fighting back. and all this work for a crummy vcr!
    [Edited last by tom_furman on August 20, 2001 at 06:29 PM]
    [Edited last by tom_furman on August 20, 2001 at 07:06 PM]

16. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I kept my answer short earlier because as soon as you saw the back of your receiver I figured that you'd figure it out.
    It sounds now like the VCR is not configured for CATV. They are on differnt frequencies than OTA signals, so try that out.
    I take it that you have an audio pair coming out of your TV and into your stereo (TV in), the audio pair and the yellow video from the VCR out to the stereo VCR in, and then another 3 cable set going into your TV. I think that will do it.
    Glenn