How the Grinch Stole Xmas: 50th Anniversary - New transfer?

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
ABC aired it recently (with the same 50th in the title) and it looked great. I knew it was improved right away when the Grinch appeared green.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
i watched this the other day on abc.
i started a topic over in tv.
it looked amazing as abc showed this in HI DEF.

it was really beautiful

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I compared the new dvd to the abc hd broadcast and the clarity and the colors were vertually identical even the color saturation. The only difference was the fur around the grinches neck and ankles were a tad bit greener on the abc hd broadcast, but not by much

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry but the grinch was NEVER fluorescant green!

If those screen caps are true to the look of the DVD than I'm passing.

The screen captions int he first images hold much truer to the original color timing. I think a lot of people are spoiled by this digital age. This was a forty-year old television special and is not meant to look like a Pixar production.

Just look to the second image... the "flesh"-tones of the Who's, the red hues, the pink bow hanging beneath the window, the aqua-marine colored stilts... these are all horribly over-saturated and do not represent what this special has EVER looked like and I've watched it over 600 times in my life! The original DVD looks MUCH better to me!

If you know anything about animation and the process of inking and the tools and palettes available, you would agree that the reds, pinks and greens int he newer DVD are all horribly rendered. The Grinch NEVER looked like that!

And I have the "corrected" version of the original Grinch from WB that came in the snapper case, and his color leans more to green than the mustard color depicted above.

Also keep in mind that the GRINCH (just refer to the name of this character) is not supposed to be represented as a colorful fluorescent character. If you've seen any of Chuck Jones other television specials or any of the DePatie-Freleng TV productions and compare the color palettes, I think you'd agree.

Why is the mountain green in the last picture - it never was before? It's also an evening shot and the sky is not supposed to be light blue!

A film is SUPPOSED to show signs of age. This is not a digital production. It was shot on 35mm!

That's not an excuse for studios to manipulate the look of the film by recoloring the snow a vibrant WHITE to comply with the newest digital home theater technology... it's ridiculous.

RESTORING a film is one thing... but not recoloring it and reinventing it to look like it was produced for the Cartoon Network this year!

Older "corrected" snapper version for me, all the way.

This reissue is completely senseless.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Also, I see evidence of DVNR right off the bat.

What happened to the little girl's hair with the bow and arrow?

How did you guys miss this?? What happened to her features?

Look at how soft the image looks compared to the first caption.

Those fleshtones and pink and red hues are awful though.

No inkers would have used those colors for this special!

Look at the train! Look at the large red present!

Ridiculous.

At least the first image maintains the look of FILM.

The newer transfer looks like it was colored in some flash program.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Marco, all I can say is a) look at Dan Stone's link to the original cell art above, which I think pretty succinctly destroys your argument that the 50th Birthday version features incorrect coloration, and b) the previous version screen grabs above are from the corrected second pressing so your assertion that, in it, "his color leans more to green than the mustard color depicted above" is either an intentional falsehood or you have your color settings on your TV skewed differently than any monitor on which I've viewed the prior DVD. As far as too much DVNR, we've already covered that this makes for the only negative to this new transfer...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
so, you watched it 600 times before.

why does that make those versions the right color versions.

how do you know that those were NEVER the right look of the show.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Exactly--it's not like any of those earlier televised versions, much less the earlier DVD incarnations, were remastered prints. After years of people watching THE WIZARD OF OZ's Kansas scenes in black-and-white, people were certain that's how it had always been...didn't make them one bit right, though...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I posted a really long response with details and my browser crashed.

I don't really have the patience to repeat everything so we can respectfully disagree.

If you look at some of the actual pianted cels from the film though... you will see that 1. the grinch's color is inconsistent even in the production cels available online and range from green to murky yellow (which I agree with you is incorrect) but more importantly you will see in certain snow scenes where you can visibly see the trees, shadows and cave walls, etc. that a lot of the original inks used leaned to the purple-blue color palette and were variants of these hues. The sky is usually darker, the trees are not green nor is the mountain. The older DVD is much more representative of the actual colors... save for the grinch himself.

There's no question when you look at the walls of the room and the who's flesh tones which is more accurate. And again you can compare yourself with production art. To me, this new edition looks terrible and completely nonfilmic. I am not a fan of this "restoration" one bit. To each his own. But do a Google search yourself for painted cels (they vary widely) but the ones with backgrounds and scenery are the most obvious to me.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I love the new version. The previous one is the one that looked overly digital to me.

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I own two original production cels featuring the Grinch. He is 100% lime green with only the mane around his neck reflecting the mustard color. I have also seen at least two dozen other Grinch cels in person this month; in New York at Animazing Gallery and in Toronto at Animation Connection. The green is consistent in every cel.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16