How the Grinch Stole Xmas: 50th Anniversary - New transfer?

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
On the old disc, the Grinch's color looks more like brown mustard than green. The color timing is WAY off. Does anyone know if this is a new transfer or just a repackaging.

Thanks.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I don't know about a new release, but there have already been two issues.

The first issue has the brownish look you speak of. The second was supposedly cleaned up (digitally, I believe?) and the Grinch is green.

I have the original disc, which is how it usually looked when I saw it on TV anyway, but anywhere else you see him green.

If there's a new one perhaps I'll pick it up. Or should I wait for HD?

DUDES! You gotta come over and watch the Grinch in Hi-Def! It's AWESOME!!

Adrian_B

Grip
'plagued with mosquito noise' is putting it lightly. This is among the worst looking dvds I own (and I own The Quiet Man). I wanted to ask about this during the WB television chat but didn't get chosen to ask a question. This cartoon is in great need of a new transfer and some decent extra materials.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Wrong; I have both releases and the Grinch looks identically Linda-Blair-puke, mustard-mixed-with-guacamole in both. Furthermore, one shot of falling snow near the end of the cartoon is jacked up on the 2nd issue, with some sort of bizarre doubling of the image, like it's being played in Drunk-O-Vision. Though it's obviously a different transfer from the 1st issue (one need look no further than the shot referenced above to tell that), claims that the 2nd issue was digitally remastered were grossly exaggerated. All that being said, supposedly, this forthcoming 3rd release has been remastered yet again, so here's hoping the Grinch will at last look as he was intended to look.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Well, whatever this new release is, it certainly isn't the 50th Anniversary edition, because the animated cartoon debuted on television in 1966. That would make it the 40th Anniversary edition.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

It says "50th Birthday Deluxe Edition"; perhaps it's the 50th anniversary of the book.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Do you think the networks will air a good clean version or the old horrid version in HD?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
And BTW, for those who claim the 2000 Grinch SE has the right colors, I don't agree. I rented that DVD - actually got TWO different releases of the Warner DVD - and both had the same mustard Grinch. Granted, there seem to be about 8000 different Grinch DVDs on the market, but I'd bet all of them used the same transfer - until the 2006 one, that is...

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Travis,

Thanks for the screen caps and for the tip about the CC offer! What an amazing difference in the colors. While my initial reaction to the new coloring in the train shot was that they had perhaps now gone overboard in another direction, you can see how the scene with the train (as well as the grinch coloring) is now a very close match to the original cell art (http://www.animationsensations.com/t...nimation3.html).

Your post has definitely knocked me off the fence on this one, and I'll be happily picking up a copy tomorrow. Much appreciated.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if theh "MGM Television" trade mark still at the end of both the Grinch & Horton shows or have they been replaced?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the screengrabs. Interesting also in that they appear to show more image all around.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The MGM closing logo is on the Grinch. I haven't checked Horton yet, but I would assume it is on that one too.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I owned both the previous discs. I gave my first one away to my son's little girl once I ordered the most recent disc last summer. Boy was I really pissed when I got it and saw the color errors in it, argh. Well that one is going in the trash once this new release arrives next week.

Thx for the caps Travis. Thats trully an improvement in colors and with far, far less grain.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
I dunno... the colors look a little TOO saturated (The lines in the Grinch's face are thinner in the resotred pic, then in the older pic.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious