How simple can a DIY subwoof be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Milanski, Nov 9, 2001.

1. John Milanski

John Milanski Auditioning

Hi all...
    I was all set to buy a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer from BestBuy, when I ran across some DIY subwoofer posts. I'm handy and have the tools, but know NOTHING about speaker design...
    The question is: how simple is it?
    If I buy a Parts Express 12" DVC driver ($99) and a 250 watt PE amp ($125), can I just build a 14" sq box of 1" MDF ($40), cut some holes, stuff it with polyfill ($10), and that's it? Is the wiring complicated?
    Bottom line: If I do it this way (DIY $275), will I have a much better result than just getting the Sony?
    Thanks in advance...!
    --john milanski
    P.S. - the application is 50/50 HT/music in a 15x13 valted ceiling room...

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I think subwoofers are the easiest to build as far as DIY audio goes.
    As far as connecting the amp to the driver.. it's no harder than hooking a speaker to a stereo amplifier... in fact.. you're doing basically the same thing... only inside a box.
    As far as would it sound better.. I can't say for sure. But I will tell you: you generally get a better "audio value" per dollar spent on DIY compared to retail. (aka: more bang for your buck)
    A lot of retail audio is designed with profit margins considered first and audio quality second. Corners are cut to maximize their return (ie: 1/2" MDF, or worse, particle board enclosures, low end components, etc..)
    By doing DIY, you control the quality of the finished product, and you get the added satisfaction of gloating to your friends, "oh that? I built that. Just something I came up with".
    [Edited last by Dave Poehlman on November 09, 2001 at 02:26 PM]

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I'm going to build a sub for a friend using the same components that you are. I'll be using Ken Cline's design with the exception of installing the PE amp on the back of the box.
    My friend picked this sub/amp combo based on reviews at the PE Tech Forum and it's small size (high WAF).
    -Robert
    [Edited last by Robert_J on November 09, 2001 at 02:38 PM]

4. Larry Noud

Larry Noud Extra

ef i kan billed 1 , i amm shur u kan. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Larry Noud on November 09, 2001 at 03:18 PM]

5. John Milanski

John Milanski Auditioning

Ok, I think I can build this... :0
    But do I need to buy a crossover? It looks like that PE 250 amp for $125 doesn't have one (but the remote control version does, should I buy that one instead?)
    --john milanski

6. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

John,
    I'm looking into getting the PE 250 watt amp also and it does have a crossover built in, hope this helps.
    Ryan

7. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

If I understand correctly, most receivers already have a crossover. Mine is 80Hz I believe. So, with my sub, I don't need a crossover, just gonna rely on my receiver.
    Mike

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

subs are CAKE! CAKE! I tell you!
    the plate amp probably has a crossover, plus you're probably using the LFE out on the deck so there's nothin there to worry about.
    You can even buy the box prefab'd from PE or from MCM electronics (cheaper) then all ya gotta do is cut the hole in the back for the plate amp and screw it in.