How sick am I??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eggert, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Eggert

Eggert Agent

I have come to the conclusion that I have a problem, a very serious problem and I need help!!
    I currently have a nice system:
    • Pioneer RPTV
    • Denon AVC-A10SE (equivalent to the AVR-4800)
    • Pioneer DV-737 (equivalent to the Elite 37 I think)
    • JBL speakers all around except for the center channel which is a Celestion.
    Yet I still have been bitten by the upgrade bug (I haven't upgraded anything for well over a year). The only annoying thing is I don't really want to replace anything except perhaps the center speaker (I would love to replace all the speakers but that is simply to expensive and thus not an option at this time).
    After really stretching my mind on possible purchases I have discovered the following possibilities:
    • New center speaker
      1. Paradigm Studio CC is the one I want but that speaker would be of a much higher quality than the other speakers and as such probably won't fit well in with the system. That would "require" me to upgrade all my speakers and currently that is not an option.
      2. I could also purchase the center speaker that goes along with my main and surround speakers but I am only so so happy with them and I am reluctant to purchase more.
    • Surround back speakers
      To utilize the surround back channel I would have to purchase two amplifiers (Marantz monoblocks perhaps) and a pair of surround back speakers. Again the question of what speakers to buy arises. Also, how many movies really do use the SB channel? Does the cost of adding this capability justify it?
    As many of you have been infected with this disease I put this question to a vote. What would you do??
    • Buy a kick ass center speaker and worry about the other speakers later (they will all be upgraded at some time in the future its just a question of when and what brand) or
    • add surround back speakers of the same brand I currently have.
    As I said, I have a problem. Is there a cure for this highly entertaining disease on the horizon? [​IMG]
    Best regards,
    Eggert

2. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    I would pick the new line of speakers that you desire to upgrade to - buy the center now, and start planning for replacing all the others.
    If you buy more of the same type you have, it's more to replace later - it doesn't sound like you LOVE your current speakers, so to buy more would be a shame.
    The new center may make the whole system sound better, which could delay your upgraditis. (it's not a fault, it's a disease)
    Have fun purchasing
    Paul

3. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Since the majority of the sound of a movie comes through the center channel... just play the numbers and go with the kick ass center. I also must say that I liked the Paradigm center, but I wouold seriously listen to the JM Lab Chorus CC700. AWESOME. my $.02

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    it's more important to have matching center and main speakers than having the 'best' of both packaged together. your front three should always be the same brand so they'll be timbre matched. (this isnt as important for the surrounds.)

5. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

1) buy the kickass center (you don't mind keeping for years)

2) buy one monoblock amp

3) move your current JBL center to the rear and make it a rear center....wholla...6.1 surround!

6. Eggert

Eggert Agent

Thanks for your responses.

Ricky T

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    What about a quality subwoofer? This would make a large improvement in the HT experience. Also, I feel that a monoblock amp purchase would not yield large benefits (given your current speakers).

8. Eggert

Eggert Agent

I have a good (not great, but good) subwoofer and do not plan to update it for a while. Also, the range of subwoofers available here in Iceland is somewhat limited, but I have to admit that I had my eye on the Paradigm Servo 15. That sub, however, costs a LOT of money here and I would rather upgrade my center speaker (much happier with my Sub than with my Center).

Best regards,

Eggert