What's new

How should the receiver connections be? (1 Viewer)

Brenden

Grip
I am finally hooking up my connections to the back of the receiver, and of course the manual has me slightly confused. I have the Kenwood HT-306 system (VR-716 receiver). I have two audio sources, TV (Wega 32") and DVD (Sony pro. scan, 5 disk). The audio jacks are all running to the receiver, do I need to hook up the video cables to the receiver as well? I am using component video cables from the DVD to the TV (no progressive scan on TV though). The manual shows video connections, but no composite video connections. all speakers are hooked up, so is there anything i might be missing before i give it a go?

--Brenden

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You don't need to run video through the receiver. You can run it all directly to the TV. However, running through the reciever lets you switch all the video in the receiver, which may be one less step when changing sources. Also, it is useful if you have lots of things to hook up and limited inputs on your TV.

Brenden

Grip
problem. i connected my dvd audio cable to the receiver, and it wont produce sound. however, when i hooked it up to the audio 2 connections in the back, i get sound. why might this be happening? what might be wrong?

John S

Senior HTF Member
What dvd audio cable???

Digital Coax?
Optical?

Either of those should be fine, you may need to do some setting on the DVD player and/or reciever, but it should work.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
No, red and white are analog stereo. You need to run a single 75ohm digital coax (or a video cable they the same thing) for digital audio, or use an optical cable. Either one. Or you won't be getting any DD or DTS sound, just plain stereo.

Brenden

Grip
so what cable hookup do you all recomend then? i did notice on the receiver it isnt displaying digital audio, just plain pro-logic.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Brenden,

You have to see what digital output type you have on your DVD player, then decide what cable to buy to hook up to your receiver. Then you have to enable your digital output on your DVD, then enable and/or assign your digital in on your receiver. Read the thread that is linked above, it has much information. If you get stuck, post the model numbers of your equipment and we may be able to help.

Brenden

Grip
I have the DVD set up for DD and DTS. I found a 75ohm coaxial in my box of "stuff" and the receiver automatically recognized it was a digital connection. Huge improvement from the analogue connections. This rocks!!

P.S. are twisty ties ok to use when cleaning up the wire mess behind all the units?

--Brenden

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

No. The wire inside the ties will 'eat' its way into your cables over time. Dont use zip-ties for the same reason.

You want wide/smooth ties.

Your hardware store/Radio Shack sell velcro strips which work quite well. If you have a fabric store you can buy 1" wide velcro for about $1 and cut it into custom lengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks