How should I set my DVD player if I have a TV that does the "Anamorphic Squeeze"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

With all these terminologies floating around (3:2 pulldown, anamorphic widescreen, 16:9 enhanced, Progressive Scan, etc), I get a little confused when setting things up.
    I have a HD Ready TV with an "auto 16:9 enhanced" mode, and I have a progressive scan DVD Player (one of the new JVC DVD-A progressive-scan models). In the setup menu for the DVD player, I can tell it what kind of display I have. One of the options is 16:9, one is 4:3P+S, and one is 4:3LB. I figured since my TV was actually 4:3 (Sony WEGA 36XBR450) that I should choose 4:3LB. However, since the set has an auto 16:9 enhanced mode, should I set the DVD player for a 16:9 display? What will happen if I am watching non-widescreen materials? (God forbid.)
    Anyone have this TV (or similar) and a progressive scan DVD player? How is yours set up?
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Select "16:9" as TV Type in your DVD player setup.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Set your DVD player to 16:9. Since your TV does the squeeze automatically, you'll get the enhanced resolution everytime you pop in an anamorphic DVD.
    When watching non-anamorphic material, the TV will automatically switch to 4:3 mode. So you don't have to do anything at all, once the player is set to 16:9.
    KJP

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you do not select 16:9 on the DVD setup, the auto squeeze will not happen.
    The default is still 4:3, and the compression only happens when 16:9 material is detected. I have a non-XBR WEGA and it works like a charm.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 31, 2001 at 02:59 PM]