how should I hook up my cable box?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Todd*Sa, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Today is the big day I get my HT! I am getting a regular 32" TV, and an Onkyo HTS-660. The receiver has 2 digital outputs. I am going to hook up my X-box with S-video and digital optical, my DVD player with component and digital coaxial. My question is, how should I hook up my digital cable box? It has regular A/V, S-video, and a digital coaxial. I know that 99% of programming is not DD, so do I even need to bother with the digital coaxial(it would be easy for me to just switch it from the DVD player to cable box). Should I just use the A/V hookups? I would like to get simulated surround at least. Oh, one more question, when watching movies should I have it set on DD 5.1 or DTS?

Note to MOD: Sorry if I chose the wrong forum, I promise I tried to put it in the right one!

2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

If your receiver has an auto-decode capability, I would hook up both the analog and digital connections. On my receiver, if a digital signal is present, it will use that. Otherwise, it defaults to the analog signal.

As for Dolby 5.1 vs. dts, they are two different formats. Choose whichever you prefer. Some people claim one is better than the other.

3. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

Congrats.. great system (I use the Onkyo 760 as one of my HTs).

The Onkyo boxes to not convert from one source to another. So if it comes in as Svideo it has to go out as SVideo.

What I have is my Digital cable box has incoming ports for my game system. the outgoing svideo/audio is going to my onkyo which feeds the tv svideo (it plays the audio heh).

The Onkyos come with a big sheet of instructions thats pretty easy to look at and know how to hook it up.

Congrats again and hope you like the sound.
    [​IMG]

4. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

I am going to hook up all the video through the TV, so I am just worried about audio. What will the sound be like if I just use A/V cables? And if I do use the digital coaxial will I not get any sound if the program I am watching is not DD? Thanks for the responses guys. And I do like the sound of the Onkyo HTS-660. From what I heard in the store it sounds better than the ultra expensive Bose systems that use one woofer and a bunch of tiny satellites. It seems like a great system for the person with a budget constraint that wants to have the advantages of DD, and not throw the system away when you need/want to upgrade.

5. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Why not test this out for yourself? Firstly, just connect the digital coax and not the analog audio cables. Make sure that your receiver is set up to know that you want to listen via the digital input. Then scan through all of your channels to see if you have audio. If yes, then you're done. If no, then hook up the analog cables and test again.

My cable only needs the digital coax connection - it delivers stereo for most channels and 5.1 for some.

6. Todd*Sa

Todd*Sa Extra

Well, I found out some of my channels are digital and some aren't, and the ones that are not I do not get any sound from the digital coaxial. So I am just going to use regular audio cables and if something really good comes on I will plug in the coaxial. Thanks everyone.