how should i feel about buying non-brand new products?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike Matthews, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

i went in to Crutchfield today to test out some speakers, and i think i'm going to go with the following:

Polk RTi70s
    Polk RTi38s
    Polk CSi40
    Polk PSW 650

they crunched all the numbers and everything brand new came to a little over $2,300

then they mentioned that i could get the stuff from the outlet stores and save some money. however, there are varying degrees of quality, with some being "like new", some being units that have spent time on the display floor, some may have slight dings in them, etc. everything that i wanted was available in the outlet store, which brought my total down to $1,887.

still, i feel weird about buying some of the outlet stuff. i have no problem with the "like new" equipment, but stuff that people have had in their homes and display units that people have had their hands all over and done god know what to kind of sketch me out. what should i do?

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Speakers are one thing that I wouldn't buy refurbished or floor models. I like to know that mine were taken care of and used at reasonable levels. The extra money is worth the piece of mind. Now electronic equipment I would have no qualms about buying refurbished.

3. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

yeah, that makes sense

4. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

I'm not so sure that it would be a bad thing. If they were floor models, I doubt they were driven hard for any considerable length of time. I would be more concerened about returns.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I wouldn’t be overly concerned about it. The thing about speakers is that if you overdrive them to the point of damage, the results are generally immediate. The weak link in any speaker is the drivers themselves, specifically the voice coils. When they are damaged, or the windings burned through, the results are immediately apparent. A scenario where damage did not surface until some point in the future would be highly unusual.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Alan Wong

Alan Wong Auditioning

If you can see the speakers and hear them before buying and like them, I don't see a reason not to purchase them. Also, look at the warranty. Will it have manufacturer or just from the store you buy them?